rebuilding a homebuilt sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

i had a customer tell me about this car they had bought, and it was hard to understand what he was talking about until it showed up at the shop. it was a model a cowl and the rest was home built. the people who built it are from the lexington ky area and go by the rats nest rods, or something like that. so watch out if you deal with them

this car was a basket case, body and frame!!!!! frame had cold welds, even missed some of the seams completely. frame was about 2 inches off the ground at ride height, the front suspension was horrible, no adjustment in the bones.... the list goes on and on, but thats enough of that.

so i am building a new chassis, re doing all the suspension, making all new body bracing, floor skeleton. pretty much starting over from scratch to make this safe to be driven. here are some before pics and some of progress as of now

before

DSCN4176.jpg

DSCN4177.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

DSCN4182.jpg

DSCN4183.jpg

DSCN4184.jpg

DSCN4186.jpg

Man that thing is scary!!!! Jus sux that there are guys out there building crap like this and then pretty much robbing some guy by selling it oto them :mad:

The new frame is badass!!!!

Looks great, you do really nice work. I like that master cylinder mount. Did not realize you were buying stuff from us, but thank you.

We will be in Dayton next week for the NTBA T Bucket Nationals. I'll try and make time to swing by and see you.

got the engine and trans mounted today, still going to do some trimming on the engine mounts to give them a cleaner look. also decided to go with a sold center cross member instead of having a bolt in trans cross member. got the rear end on the table to start rear suspension in the morning.

rpm, i didnt know that stuff came from you guys. the guy with the car bought all the parts on ebay and brought them to me. it is a small work lol. let me know when you will be in the area, i will be in indy next week end for the Road Rocket rumble.
DSCN4236.jpg

DSCN4237.jpg

DSCN4238.jpg

DSCN4239.jpg

DSCN4240.jpg

DSCN4241.jpg

Love the engine mounts - haven't seen that design before. I'm sure we'll see some similar ones soon though! (like if i ever build another...)

You do nice work, they definitely brought it to a good place to get it done right...

made a little more progress. got the rear suspension all mocked up, all that is left is front suspension stuff and then it get fully welded and comes off the table
DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4520-1.jpg

DSCN4521-1.jpg

DSCN4522.jpg

DSCN4523.jpg

DSCN4524.jpg

DSCN4525.jpg

What a difference ! [cl That's a great solution for mounting the upper links to the housing. It's amazing how many guys try welding the tabs to the casting - even in high school they tell you that's a no-no. Keep up the great work. [P

didnt realize i had not updated this in a while. between moving the shop and other projects it must have slipped my mind. here are some updates. frame is fully welded and plated. front suspension is tacked up, rear is all done. it is on the ground as a roller. next comes the floor and re working the body.

DSCN4608.jpg

DSCN4609.jpg

DSCN4610.jpg

DSCN4607.jpg

DSCN4606.jpg

DSCN4613.jpg

DSCN4614.jpg

DSCN4615.jpg

DSCN4616.jpg

DSCN4617.jpg

Latest posts

Back