Red Wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpectreBoy

I know this is kinda old crap for some of you, but I got my wheels back from the powder coaters tonite and was pretty excited, this guy is new at this but I think they turned out real nice.

rw2.jpg

rw1.jpg

I think I'm down for the winter, it'll take 2 weeks to get my Diamond Back wide whites, then I'm trying to find a used mig welder (if not my bud said I could take his home with me) to install a 4 link rear end system, and then the king pins need replaced, so I'm sure it'll be next year before it's on the road again, but I'll get some pics of it in the garage before it's done and along the way.

Very Nice !!!

Hey, those look great. :cool:
I'll bet you can hardly wait to get them installed.... '22

The wheels look cool, but I have a little concern....and my concern is "self inflicted". A former girl friend had the wheels of her 442 powder coated and the did the whole wheel...including where the wheels backed up to the disc rotor and the brake drums. I don;t know if she rode her brakes a lot, but when I went to take the wheels off to rotate them, I couldn't get the SOB's off. With the help of a pry bar the "self inflicted" came into play....I finally got the wheels to break loose, but on the last one I slipped and gashed myself pretty good. Apperantly, the heat fromt he brakes softened the powder coating enough to help them bond to the hubs. I took a grinder to the center of the wheels (and then a light coat of antseize), and didn't have any other problems removing the wheels. Might have been just her situation, not applied properly, not baked properly, or something like that, but since then I'm a little gun shy with powder coated wheels.

I know some people knock red wheels as being overdone, but I still think they are cool. Your coater did a nice job on them. We just had a set of 16's done for Dans car and it was nice not to have to worry about scratching the paint off when mounting the tires.

Are you going to run caps and rings or just naked? (the wheels.......not you:p)

Don

I know some people knock red wheels as being overdone, but I still think they are cool.

Red Rims are only 'overdone' at car shows and the like! I don't think I have ever seen another flat black with RR in my work parking lot in 23 yrs of working there (200+ employees).

I like the bolt hole pattern on the right rim. If you have 2 of those, keep those open and cap the other 2.

Red rims seemed to get knocked a bit on "other" boards but I like 'em. Saw a picture of some blue wheels on an older S-10 (maybe it was on this site ... ??) that a guy was using on a shop truck. If I keep my old Dakota I was thinking of doing the same thing. Anyway, red wheels are traditional and that's O.K. by me.

Latest posts

Back