Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Dirty Rat, it is easy to miss updates in the build section any more, there are so many builds going on that as soon as you post something to your build it is bumped to the back by another person doing updates. That is good though, I guess, as it shows how many cars are going together on the forum. :D I miss people doing updates all the time until I sit down at night sometimes and slowly go through all the new posts.

Don

Ya know, I think it's easier to miss an update on a "sticky" too as it isn't grouped with the other builds.
THE RPU is on its way to being another Best in Class rod from your shop.

A favor, what is the door opening measurement, horizontally?

Bob, on the way to the shop I hit some road debris, probably from an accident, and blew out my rear tire. By the time I got it changed I just came home and forgot to measure the door opening for you. I will do it tomorrow.

Don

Glad to help, Bob.

I just realized it has been a while since I updated this project and actually a lot has gotten done. When I left off we had completely gutted all the former subframe out and only left the two side rails. I bought 24 feet of 1 x 2 x 1/8 tubing and Dan and I built a new subframe entirely. This one is tailored right for this frame and transmission and should free up a lot of cockpit room for the passengers.

Here is a picture of the rear portion of the subframe done:

myrpumoresubramework001.jpg

Then we made the front portion of the subframe so it would hug the TH350 trans and define the shape of the hump we need to build over the transmission. This picture is when I had the pieces clamped in place to see how they fit:

myrpumoresubframework007.jpg

Here is a picture when the body was turned upside down so Dan could weld it on the bottom too.

myrpusubframedone002.jpg

Now that the subframe is pretty much done I put the body back on the frame so I could start figuring out how to make the trans hump, driveshaft tunnel, and floors. The Olds engine has a 4 inch bellhousing that intrudes into the cockpit so I figured the best way to cover it was to simply make a squarish box to cover it up and to give me a spot to start bending tin for the trans hump. I first made a cardboard template and got a shape that would work, then I transferred that to 18 gauge steel and made the final one.

I made the box in four pieces so I could bend it up in our brake, and then I cleco'd it all together. Dan will finish welding all the seams up and make it one piece. Here is the box I made:

myrpustartinginteriortinwork003.jpg

It also gave me a nice spot to mount my gas pedal. I decided to put the Lokar cable on top of the box so I can get at it for future replacement or adjustments. I will make a simple L bracket to hold it to the top of the box.

myrpustartinginteriortinwork004.jpg

Once the box was done I slipped it into place on the firewall and as you can see, it will give me a good start on the hump. The next pieces of tin will go onto those rounded flanges and taper down in the back.

myrpustartinginteriortinwork010.jpg

myrpustartinginteriortinwork011.jpg

myrpustartinginteriortinwork009.jpg

Those areas where the paint is ground off on both sides of the transmission is where I cut off two tabs that the TH350 has there. They stuck out over an inch on each side and serve no purpose, and cutting them off gave me a lot more room.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks, DR. I have just decided to do a little bit more every night or so and it has been paying off. I've finally gotten to the spot where I don't need Dan to be there every night to do the serious welding for me, there are things I can do on my own and that I can weld myself. I usually only use his welding skills for something that is structural or that I want to be pretty. On things that don't show I can do those and then grind the heck out of the welds to make them look somewhat presentable. :D

Don

I've been working the last few days on bending 18 gauge sheet metal into the shape of the transmission hump. It has been coming along pretty well and tonight I got the second piece done so that the transmission is completely covered now. Once we build the driveshaft tunnel that will only leave the floor to fabricate.

Here are some pictures of where I ended up tonight.

Don

myrpumorehumpwork011.jpg

myrpumorehumpwork009.jpg

Thanks, Guys. Haha, yeah, we have a vise grip fetish, it seems. Everytime we are in Northern we find a new one they came out with and we buy a few more. They sure come in handy at times like this though.

I have to say I am feeling pretty good about the way the hump is coming out. I've never really played much with doing tin work, but as long as you take your time and measure a lot it is fun to do. The downside is that it cuts like a razor though. I am wearing a few nicks and cuts that even went through the gloves I was wearing. :eek: But I learned a long time ago the car building Gods require a certain amount of blood in every build.

Don

Thanks, ZZ. A few of our clamps have been around the block a few times too, with weld marks and splatter on them. Some have adjustment screws that are hard to turn because of damage, probably splatter. My Son dan is also not opposed to modifying one by welding stuff to it to work in some particularly odd position, so we have some with things sticking out of them. But they sure are handy to have.:)

Don

It's been a while since I looked at this thread and things are really lookin good [cl
The tunnel is nice :)
I'll not mention the vice grips since the others did it for me [ddd

Thanks, OI. I always know the build is coming to an end when the clamps start coming back to the rack we keep them on and off of the car, :D

As I mentioned, it has started to become too hot during the day to go to the shop so I usually go after 6 and feed the stray cats then get some work done on the rpu. It finally gets really nice around 1-2 am.

I am about to head over there and get some more small stuff done on the floor. I am almost out of 18 gauge sheet metal so I will have to pick up another sheet of it Monday or so, but I have enough to do some small areas of the floor. I also need to cut the round hole for the shifter and for the steering column to come through the firewall, so I might do those tonight.

The other night we had another cop show up at our garage door, but this one was pretty friendly. The silent alarm went off at the deli that is in the unit next to ours and he was responding to that. It was about 11 pm and I had been there since about 7 so I told him no one else was anywhere else in the complex and he said it must have been a false alarm. Dan and I wondered if he was just telling us that story because he was checking us out, but a few minutes later the owner of the deli showed up and confirmed his alarm had gone off. But like I said, this cop wasn't like the other two who checked us out the last time. It also makes us happy they are keeping an eye on the places around us.

Don

Latest posts

Back