Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I haven't been ignoring you. I just haven't looked at this thread in a long time, and I haven't done anything to the rpu in about a year or so ! :eek: But today I decided it was time to finally do SOMETHING on it, no matter how small of a job it was.

I decided it was time to disassemble it and get the frame ready for paint. It has been sitting so long all the bare steel on the frame and body are really rusty, so it is going to take some grinding and sanding to get it smooth again. I still have to weld two little tabs behind the front crossmember to hold my radiator, but that will take no time at all to do.

My original thoughts were to have the frame and running gear powder coated but I think I am going to paint the frame to match whatever color I decide for the body and bed. I will probably still have the running gear powder coated (black, I think to match the wheels) and I may paint some off white into parts of the axle and backing plates for contrast.

So, here is the frame after I got the body and bed lifted off. We also got the transmission removed before I left tonight and tomorrow I will pull the engine and set it aside.

Don

Thanks guys. Today I got the engine, transmission, front suspension, and rear suspension removed so I am down to a bare frame. All I have to do is weld the battery box that I built some time ago onto the frame and it can go to the powder coater next week.

I debated about painting the frame the same color as the body (haven't decided on that color yet) but it is so much easier to simply drop it off at the coater then pick it up a week or so later all done. The older I get the less I like all the prep work, dragging out the painting equipment, and the clean up. I am going to have the frame done in shiny black.

Don

Tonight after work Dan and I cleaned up the frame to get it ready for taking it to the powder coater Tuesday. We wanted to smooth the front section that shows a little more than their sandblasting will do, and we also welded the battery box onto the frame.

I think I am going to go with a slightly less than gloss black on the frame, maybe not satin, but not super shiny either. I keep looking at my 27 and how much I like the satin black body, thinking this one would look good that way too. I could do the engine, firewall, and all the suspension in off white and the rest in black. I'll know more when I get the frame sitting on the off white suspension, that will tell me how the car wants to be.

But I change my mind more often than I change my socks, so who knows where it will end up. :eek:

Don

But I change my mind more often than I change my socks, so who knows where it will end up. :eek:

Don

Oh good, I thought it was just me.

I think the off-white and black idea is cool!

Whatever you do with the frame, I think it should match the gloss level of the body. This weekend I was at a car show and there was a 32 Highboy Roadster with a gloss black body but a satin black frame. It just looked like someone wasn't thinking and looked like one or the other was an after-thought.

Just my observations, I hope that helps.

Took the frame to the powder coater today and we settled on a 60% gloss black color. 100% is super shiny, 40% is satin, so 60% should be just what I am looking for. I want this car to look like it has been around for a while and it is a tribute to the one I built in about 1969-70. Kinda want it to look like it might have come out of a barn after a bunch of years resting in there.

Should have it back in a couple of weeks. The guy we use ALWAYS says he will have it done "next week" but he has never hit that schedule in all the years we have been using him. When he asked me today how soon I needed it back I told him there was no rush, and there isn't. He does great work and always takes care of us, so I never push him. I have a lot of other things to do, like starting to prep and paint the suspension parts to keep me busy in the meantime.

Don

It is going to look real nice!
My son and I are starting a little project together, let's hope he doesn't make me change the car so many times!

Kudos for the car, for you and for your son, I can't wait to see the final result!

I bet you both are really looking forward to doing your project together. Working with my Sons is the highlight of my day.

Since my frame is at the PC shop, today I am going to work on sandblasting the front end parts and starting to get ready to paint them. I was going to have them PC too, but I am afraid I won't get a perfect match for some of the off white parts I have already painted, like the motor and the someday to be painted firewall.

Don

After looking at the 16 parts that make up the front end, I decided last night to not paint them but to have them powder coated instead. So this morning I had time before I go to work and I dropped them off and picked out an off white color that looked close to the engine color.

It's getting harder all the time to paint stuff in the parking lot of our shop because the other units in there are filling up and there is always more traffic around these days. When the economy sucked we were about the only shop in there and we could wheel stuff outside to paint it, but that has changed as the economy is improving.

He says I should have the stuff back Tuesday, including the frame (hahahahahahahahaha.........I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes:) but I am not in any particular hurry, it's been so long now a week or two more won't matter.

I'll post some pictures when I pick up the parts.

Don

The one on my 27 has been on there for about 5 years and lots of miles and it is powder coated. No significant issues, no cracking, just normal road rash. I also use a Posies spring with the teflon buttons that slide between each leaf, so that might help, it is not like metal on metal would be. But overall it has been fine.

Don

Today I dropped of the last two pieces of the front end to be coated and (surprisingly) they haven't started on anything I took there already . :rolleyes: He said the special black color for mine is supposed to arrive today and he should have it done by the end of the week. (once more............hahahahahahaha........sure, THAT will happen ! :rolleyes:

But I am ok with it taking a little longer, however, if I were in rush I would not be happy at this point.

Don

I'm starting to get a little PO'd at the powder coater, we took the frame in on Feb 25 and I called him today and he said "I'll call you tomorrow." When I pressed him and asked when the parts would be done he said "Thursday." So I told him to call me tomorrow anyway and I might stop by and kick him in the butt a little.

I've used this guy for years and he has always been slow, but not THIS slow. I am going to give the other PC in town a try on any future work to see how they are.

I wasn't in any particular hurry but 21 days is a little much. :mad::mad: Time for some tough love.

Don

I'm putting on my shocked face........he never called today. :rolleyes: Guess where I am going tomorrow ? He does great work but is a horrible businessman.

Don

Surprise, surprise.......went there today and my parts actually are being coated ! :D They were in the primer stage and they are going to top coat them all this afternoon and I can pick them up tomorrow. He had one part done, the little plate that goes under my front spring and the black came out exactly the satin I had hoped for, not too shiny not too flat. Here is a picture of it:

I am off tomorrow so I am going to pick up all the front end pieces in my car, then on Friday morning my Son Dan is off and we will pick up the frame with his pickup and my trailer.

Now I am getting excited !! [cl[cl I like that black shade so much I am going to have the entire frame and suspension done in the same black for my 46 when I get around to doing it.

Don

Now I am getting excited !! [cl[cl I like that black shade so much I am going to have the entire frame and suspension done in the same black for my 46 when I get around to doing it.

Don

Or, more to the point, when HE gets around to doing it! Lol

I like the shade too. Looks very much like "chassis black" is suppossed to look. [P

Latest posts

Back