Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, the story isn't over quite yet. I will have some pictures and will tell you guys what happened when I get back from my shop in a little while. :D

Don

Ok, today I went to pick up my parts from the coater and first he showed me all the white suspension parts. I was blown away, they look EXACTLY the shade of off white I wanted and his workmanship is flawless. Could not be happier:

Then we went to look at the frame and it was just as beautiful, except for one thing.............IT WAS ALSO WHITE, instead of the black I wanted ! :eek::eek: I have to admit that for a while I actually said "Let me look at it for a minute" and considered leaving it white, it looked that good. But my wheels are black and so is my body going to be, so it just would not work out.

He is going to recoat it and says it will be done tomorrow after 2 pm. We'll see ! :rolleyes: But I am happy anyway because the white stuff was well worth the wait. Plus, I just got a good check up at the Dr today, so it looks like I might live for a little while longer.:D

Don

Thanks, guys. Tonight I started cleaning out some of the threads from the powder coating process and I assembled my front spring. IF I get the frame back tomorrow as promised I can start assembling the front end to the frame.

I held one of the pieces up next to the white on the Olds engine and it is very close, so I should be ok. I am going to respray the motor as it has been sitting around the shop for about 5 years or so and has gotten some chips on it. My plan is to paint the firewall the same white and have the body in the same satin black as my 27. I didn't want two cars the same color but I like it so much on my 27 I have decided to do this one the same color.

Don

Thanks, I thought I had some skin cancer starting from too many years of roadster driving, but turned out not to be. That and the white front end parts made my day. :D

Don

This is a killer build Don, I read through the whole thing a couple months back and now I'm caught up again. Glad to see you working on it again. The off white suspension is sweet looking and making me think now of not doing just satin black on mine. Keep it up, you and your boys do ex exceptional work!

Picked up the frame and he actually had it done in black this time ! [cl I am very happy with the way it came out.

I couldn't resist starting to put the front end pieces back on the frame and my Son Dan gave up his day working on his own Mustang project to help me, and it came in handy because the extra pair of hands was needed for a lot of the stuff. We had to retap all the threads and clean out all the bolt holes to get rid of excess powder coating, but we got a lot of the front end on for (hopefully) the last time.

Here are some pictures of where we ended up tonight:

Don

Thanks. Yeah, I've always wanted one with white suspension, to me it looks very 50 ish. I think when the wheels and tires are on it will start to come together a little more. But so far I am liking it. :D

Don

It looks very 50's, and I'm old enough to have been there. Gonna be a super nice hot rod.

Mind revealing what powder coating costs?

Thanks guys. Bob, I took over the frame and 19 other pieces total. I was expecting maybe $800 or more. I called him on the phone while I was driving to get the total so I could go to the bank and get cash out. He said "$389.00." :eek: I thought I heard him wrong so I told him to hang on while I stopped at a red light so I could hear better, and he said the same figure ! :eek::eek: I gave him 4 $100 bills and told him to keep the change !:D

I couldn't have bought the paint, primer, and other supplies to do just the frame alone for that small amount. I am so glad my Sons talked me into not painting this stuff myself. Drop off rusty parts and pick up nice coated parts, doesn't get any easier than that.

Don

Thanks. Yep, it is cheap. Last time I bought a gallon of Imron I think I paid $300 for the paint and $110 for the hardener. Then if you add in reducer, plus epoxy primer and the hardener for that, I would have had $500 to $600 easy in just the paint for the frame.

I figure I will have another $ 300 in powder coating all the rear end stuff, so for $700 I should have the complete chassis done. And I didn't have to get my little paws dirty. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back