rod parts made from junk.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
rod parts made from junk or stuff laying around.

old wheel-barrow for a firewall recess, that's what l did for my son's tribute truck. the 1950 dodge truck and when it was sub-framed, l put in a sbc and the distributor hit the firewall.

l've used the 1/2'' to 3'' square tubing shops use to ship jet ski's and snow mobiles in/on to make a floor ''cage'' for the 33 dodge.

lamp for my man cave outta a 1955 house heater.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• hot rod heater 001.jpg
    hot rod heater 001.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 89
  • hot rod heater 003.jpg
    hot rod heater 003.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 88
  • hot rod heater 004.jpg
    hot rod heater 004.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 019.jpg
    1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 019.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 016.jpg
    1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 016.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 020.jpg
    1 set of floor replace and gas tank install and motor & tranny 020.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 85
  • dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 94
  • dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 88
  • dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 71
  • dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 101
you guys must be older fellas like me (67) back in my day we threw nothing away. if its was too short we welded a chunk on if its was too long we cut a chunk off. now it seems like if its not exactly correct and bright chrome ..throw it away. i thought thats the way hot rodding was supposed to be....use what others throw away. if the stuff you buy and is shiney chrome and fits perfectly you are a assembly er.. if you find your parts in the dumster or your neighbors yard you are a hot rodder. remember that the whole nation of china releys on what we throw away. just my 2 cents worth.....jim

Old stuff

Great idea with the wheelbarrow,90% of guys that critisize rat rods have no fabrication skills at all and most have the work done by somebody else then take the credit.:cool:

I have used the wheel barrow trick. and con rods for column drops. model A pedals on a chopper. PTO knobs from machinery for light switch, jockey shift knobs. Glass door knobs on chopper shifters. Metal shelving for floor boards. etc. That is the true definition of hot rodding [;)[;)

A little off topic but I used the wood from shipping crates that I received over the years to construct the walls of the office in my shop. Waste not want not!

The place I owned in Willow Alaska, I built my shop and all my outbuildings from wood I got taking apart shipping crates. The metal roofing was taken out of the inside of a warehouse. I still recycle as much as I can, my whole car is built from junk. I get a lot of metal from the city dump. old exercise machines, bed frames ect. Plus I snag quite a few lawn mowers there that don't take much to get running and resell. I got a nice little Campbell/Hausfield air compressor there last week, just needed a wheel and the switch cleaned.
Anyway, here's a picture of the bed in my rpu. Also the top links were a tie rod from an old combine. I almost hate to paint this over.

partsmadefromscrap002.jpg

Latest posts

Back