sad times in Coltonville.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
Wed. at work while trouble shooting an air compressor i noticed my co-worker / mentor (i guess thats the right word) was acting a little strange so i went over to him and asked him if he was alright - and he asked me if i could give him a ride home -- i knew something was wrong -- so, we got him over to his daughters house and about an hour later she took him to the ER -- theyre pretty sure he has pneumonia and had a heart attack after i got him to his
daughters -- he got hit by a DD some years ago while walking and already had
back, neck, heart, and lung problems -- hes 76 yrs old
hes okay i guess now - but its still got me worried - most people dont understand the relationship an apprentice has with his/her mentor -
and since im not great at praying i guess im just asking for a little help is all.

At this point im not even sure if i want him to come back to work especially not full time -- hes lived a long life and done more things than most people could dream of -- hes as stubborn as a mule and a great teacher and has taught me more than he probably knows and i just want whats best for him -
and right now i think that he should be at home and spending time with his grandaughters and daughters -- i dont know -- im kind of rambling - but it feels a little better to get it out there --

Sorry to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to get back to work. We just lost a man earlier this year, massive heart attack, 78 yrs old. Looking back, I realized he knew it was coming for months (maybe a couple years). Coulda retired years back. Tough old ******* wasn't gonna go lying down. Sounds like your friend might be carved outta the same material.

God bless 'em.

Sorry to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to get back to work. We just lost a man earlier this year, massive heart attack, 78 yrs old. Looking back, I realized he knew it was coming for months (maybe a couple years). Coulda retired years back. Tough old ******* wasn't gonna go lying down. Sounds like your friend might be carved outta the same material.

God bless 'em.

theres a big part of me that wants him to come back because im afraid he might die if he ISNT working... hes got some great stories - my favorite 2 he was working where they had done the nuclear tests -- and the ground had to be flooded with a few inches of water before welding or cutting or anything because of the fallout etc -- he said he came back from lunch and the water had almost all dried up and he went back to work and some sparks or whatever hit the ground and there was a flash and lots of smoke -- he decided that day he was done with that health hazard and just left -- moved to michigan and started workin at chrysler on the assembly line -- after he did that for a good while -- what comes? epic blizzard - maybe 69? -- he had to carry his daughter through snow up past his knees to the bus stop --
and going christmas day he asked his wife -- what the **** are we doing in this cold weather and snow? so - they packed up and jan. 2nd - started driving towards texas lol - hes worked at the company im workin for now since they got here... he basically taught the man who is now the owner/boss about tank building and welding...

again, i know its irrelevant to most of you - but it means a lot to me to be able to get it out there...

i know some of you guys are a bit older than myself - hope this helps you realize that those young guys (like myself) who take the time to listen to your stories and try and learn and want to watch and help -- are really worth
keeping around and have a special place in our hearts for ya.
really

Sounds like most of the guys from his era. If he quits he'll die! Try to get him to cut back his hours a little and maybe slow down...I watched my Pop die when he couldn't work any longer, It just took something out of him....CR

surely he would appreciate any visits/calls you might make to check on him,
it is good to "vent" and get feedback from others...

you all are right about the ones from that "era"-- they were taught to work if able--a thing that seems to be lacking in alot of the upcoming generation, sadly

hope & pray for the best-whatever that might be, and glad you reminded us of those whom we look up to aren't neccesarily bullet proof, even when we may think they are..

I am praying for you and your friend. If you rely on the Lord he will give you strength and comfort.
You both are fortunate to have the relationship you developed. That kind of love and respect is rare. God bless you both...:)

In my prayers Colton. As my preacher friend always says, " you need the prayers and I need the practice." Hope he is better soon.

and since im not great at praying i guess im just asking for a little help is all.--

colton remember one thing ol'buddy, God hears your prayers too. Praying isnt hard, just talk to God as if He is your best friend. He does listen to you. Just ask God that His will be done.

I am sorry for that your friend has fallen into bad health and I too will be praying for him and for you.

Keep us postred on how he is doing.

Larry aka Ratcrazy

Sounds like he is a great guy and that you are a very good friend. I wish him well. Surprisingly, older people who have a heart attack sometimes do better than younger ones. I had a heart attack at 42 and my Cardiologist told me older people's hearts have more veins running around them to supply more blood, so they can have less damage if they have a heart attack.

As for him working, some people need that. We've all heard stories of a guy who retires and a month later he dies. My Grandpap died at 80 some years old, pushing his work cart, he was active right to the end. That could be your friends case too.

I hope he does well.

Don

update

hes doing good and feeling better -
wont be at work for a while but may
come back - even if its just 1/2 days
or a few hours -- get me set up on what
to do next and what im doing wrong :D
thank you everyone for your prayers
and support - it means more than you
know.

Latest posts