Sand blasting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually buy a cheapie gun on ebay that hooks up to my compressor & use a glass based semi course then go back with a small med hard plastic, but I'm cheap & hate to spend several hundred for that. Of course you need a place to do it and I usually do it in the back yard where the media fades into the grass and gravel.

Beercan

That is most likely the route I'm going to go but I need to try to get my gun to run a little better.
It just seems to take so long to get results I have started to wire wheel it as well.

Air Supply- and I don't want to hear any weepy love lorn ballads man, I'm talking about whooosh

I was having trouble getting mine to work well then i borrowed my brother's air compressor and connected them together with a 3 way air coupling

The siphon feed setup i had wouldn't cut the mustard so I bought one of those pressure pot setups that hold 5 gallons of media and that one worked like it should.

I was using the shutoff valve as a throttle and the media ate a hole through the side of the fitting. it's possible a smaller orifice tip would have done the same thing. I had to have high enough pressure in the pot to keep the media moving but it was coming out the gun too fast at that pressure
throttling the output increased the speed of the media allowing it to cut the rust better.

I don't have any pics it's buried in the garage. my hoses got brittle and they need to be replaced so I haven’t used it in a while.

I got alot more efficiency using the black sand that looks like coal cinders instead of silica sand or screed sand.

I bought one like this from Tractor Supply works well if you have a good air compressor.
Sandblasting-machine.jpg

Wondering what the going rate is for sand blasting a car frame it appears to be $250-$300 locally does that sound right?

When you think about the time you will spend and mess sandblasting at home makes, plus buying equipment that is up to the task, $250-300 bucks is reasonable. The dust from the media and the crud you are blasting off gets on and into EVERYTHING and is abrasive to sensitive engine parts etc., that may be nearby - plus it's a really good way to tick off your neighbors....

Latest posts

Back