sarcastic rods?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree

I have to agree that some of these have to be simply a way of mocking rat rods.... it's so over the top that common sense and logic is thrown out the window... you have to ask yourself, would you drive that p o s? Not me.... I guess it takes all kinds..... I probably shouldn't critisize someone else, if he / she / they really think it's cool, who am I to knock them.. as I had someone say recently, "its not my cup of tea, but to each his own"... It's just hard not to think that it's a way of mocking the rats..... jmho

Agreed. Some of these things are built as a mockery. There were show cars in the past that were built with the same intention. We can really only speculate unless we ask the builder himself because over the years there have been some hideous cars crafted with sweat and skill that only the builder could stand to look at.

Every kind of build style finds individuals taking it to the limit and beyond. Be it a hemi powered skateboard or a fire engine motor (or two) in a T Bucket. In the past there were toilets, caskets and stagecoaches that were passed off as show cars.

Rat rods are pretty extreme anyway. So, if someone wants to take it to the limit or beyond the results can be pretty outlandish.

If rat rodders are going to get sensitive about that, we're in trouble. Let's just have fun with it while it lasts.

If rat rodders are going to get sensitive about that, we're in trouble. Let's just have fun with it while it lasts.

Don't worry, it won't last much longer. All of this stupid junk hanging off of cars and fake BS will fall by the wayside when the next fad rolls along. Like said before, the people doing it are doing it for the attention. It's no different than splash graphic paintjobs and tweed interiors. Lots of cars fit into the 15 minutes of fame they sprouted from, and that's about it. A few cars are timeless, and always cool. I'm no perfect builder by any means, but I always strive for the latter.

P.S. - That car WAS built by a chainer, and strictly for some kind of attention I guess. It was at the Rod Reunion in Vegas in '05. Don't worry about safety violations though - it isn't driven. It's still a trailer queen. He fits right in with the other guys unloading their junk in the parking lot so they can show off their new bedpan air cleaner and rubber rats...

Last edited:
I guess I'm just not angry enough.
I've managed to carve out my spot in the hot rod hobby. What other people do in my opinion ranges from fabulous to hopeless. I don't much care about the owner's financial situation, whether he owns a trailer, or what his motives are for building a particular car. It's the car I'm interested in seeing. Some hot rods get a long look, others, I hurry past. The ones I hurry past don't make me mad though. In fact I kinda get a kick out of seeing the goofy things some people do with cars, It's like going to the circus and enjoying the clowns. They make me smile and laugh, not get mad.

BED, I was indicating, "as long as the right to own and build a hot rod lasts". Not just the junk rod element.

Last edited:
The great part about being on this site is that no one comes out and says your car is crappy or anything else derogatory about your ride. That's the main thing that keeps me here and I'm sure many others. Usually I won't even comment on a thread of this nature, but this one seems to be growing quickly! We already have someone calling out the original poster. What's next? Are we turning into the HAMB ? If you don't like a particular car then simply move along and find something that you do like, but don't knock down someone elses car! I come here for the comradery and friendship of fellow gear heads, not to cut someones car because I don't like the way it looks or sits or any other reason. I hope this thread stops or maybe the Mod will kill it!.[cl..CR

BED, I was indicating, "as long as the right to own and build a hot rod lasts". Not just the junk rod element.

Don't get me wrong, there is certainly some comic value to be reaped here (and your clown reference is spot-on at times!) I actually DO think lots of these things are better off on trailers, as they are either too unsafe or mechanically/structurally unfit for public roads. They are just silly IMO. I guess i just like driving cars more than worrying about how much attention I get at the next "show". I do have strong opinions, but they are just that - opinions. If people listen to them, great. If not, well that's fine too. The only time I do get angry is when I see others put in danger by irresponsible building.

We should enjoy our hot rods while we can. Hopefully one day we won't have to just "get used to it" like the people smoking outside the bar. :p

dont get me wrong, i can respect the time and work he's done to it, but theres many cars i see at shows and i just think they are flat out ugly but someone has but alot of time into them

The point of hot rods, rat rods, street rods, shock rods etc.. is, there is no point. The basic rule, is there isn't any rules.. That is my appeal to rods, rat rods specifically. Are there some (even many) I personally don't like? Sure there are. Some that irritate the hell out of me to look at, and I question what the hell was that guy/gal thinking? But, the point is, it's theirs, they built it, and may, or many not be proud of it. Not everyone agrees with my builds. The problems I have had in the past with home owners associations, and neighbors looking at some of my old rods in the driveway, man, I can't count. Does an extreme, or irritating rod offend me? Hell no, how can it, (unless they paint on the side "Tudor sucks eggs". ) I see some, that I actually don't like, but at the same time, admire the craftsmanship, or creativity. Would I own it? No, but, I may or many not like to look it over..
It's the hobby. Good or bad, if you are a part of the culture, you have to put up with it. (I think back a few weeks ago about the Vette/Dodge truck monster).

couldnt of said it better,build what floats your boat and screw everyone else.ive seen cars that i just dont get but if the owner digs it thats all that matters.ive never understood the im better then you mentality when it comes to this type of stuff.we all bleed red last time i ckd:rolleyes:
i did the car show super nice car thing in the past,most of the time it turned out to be a popularity contest anyway and it just ****ed me off thinking i had to conform to most folks standards of thinking to get any respect.build what you like and have FUN

I guess I'm just not angry enough.
I've managed to carve out my spot in the hot rod hobby. What other people do in my opinion ranges from fabulous to hopeless. I don't much care about the owner's financial situation, whether he owns a trailer, or what his motives are for building a particular car. It's the car I'm interested in seeing. Some hot rods get a long look, others, I hurry past. The ones I hurry past don't make me mad though. In fact I kinda get a kick out of seeing the goofy things some people do with cars, It's like going to the circus and enjoying the clowns. They make me smile and laugh, not get mad.

Very much the way I feel Bob, nobody makes you look at them, nobody makes you like them.

Dont have anything bad to say just was feeling left out and didnt want to be the only one that wasnt part of this thread.LOL

The great part about being on this site is that no one comes out and says your car is crappy or anything else derogatory about your ride. That's the main thing that keeps me here and I'm sure many others. Usually I won't even comment on a thread of this nature, but this one seems to be growing quickly! We already have someone calling out the original poster. What's next? Are we turning into the HAMB ? If you don't like a particular car then simply move along and find something that you do like, but don't knock down someone elses car! I come here for the comradery and friendship of fellow gear heads, not to cut someones car because I don't like the way it looks or sits or any other reason. I hope this thread stops or maybe the Mod will kill it!.[cl..CR

I know what your saying about the comradery part of course...but its help those who seek help.. I will raise my hand and be the bad guy i guess.. When do we kind of put our foot down and say hey you junked this rod up dont drive it? Two off the top of my head reasons is 1 he worked hard to make every part of the engine higher than the front windshield now i dig a carb sitting up there but look into his windshield and tell me he can see out?
2 he forgot to put any brakes at all on the front.. I tell you what you show me 1 safe thing about this car and i will retract my statement.. I dig a car that people get creative with but.. Cars like this will directly destroy us especially if we defend them. Here is how.. Has anyone noticed in the Rod magazines they are preaching about new law changes? Anyone in here from Illinois? They have to get their rat rods nsra approved before they can be driven. Pa needs emergency brakes wipers on their rats {and a few others i cant remember} I am lucky to live in a state that isnt about all of this stuff but if we start giving them a reason to try and get us off the road they will..A lot of us work hard to make our cars look ratty however be as safe if not SAFER than most hot rods cruising down the road.. Hell i almost went to get our coupe nsra certified until i figured out if the tire deflates and any part of the car touches the ground its an auto fail.. Point is Building a cheap car is ok just so long as you dont slack on Brakes steering and a front windshield in his case at least.. If you dont care enough to do it for us in a simple attempt not to destroy our ability to proudly drive these on the road then at least do it for your own safety or the safety of any regular old soccer mom passing you down the road.

Workin Class labeled them correctly.. Shock rods.. Built only for attention even if it's negative. Shock rods are not rat rods. All this has given me a idea for a mockery street or traditional rod. It will just be a huge cookie cutter on wheels. :D

MY 2 Cents

My Two Cents!!!...Okay I read through this hole thread and I agree to disagree with what was and wasn't said????...now I sound like a politition?[S...some of us agree with them and others don't...each to his own....but as far as liking or disliking a certain car???...if the design of the build flows and was built with safety in mind and it has enough detail in it to keep my attention and make me look at it even closer..then give the guy a star.:cool:...if it just looks hidious and something that only a mother could love:eek:....then look for another star:cool:....as far as safety issues....up here in the frozen and I mean frozen -32 degrees:eek: in the great white north....we have to go through an inspection process with hot rods and have to have alot of safety items in place like e brakes, horn, wipers,signals,ride height.scrub lines,floor,NO heim joints,must be rod ends, and on and on...so we don't get the bizzaro rat rod clown car builds here as much...more traditional rods in rat rod clothing...and if your carbs are higher than your windshield you would probably get a ticket for obstruction of vision and would have to lower them.....Keep the man Happy and he won't take your toys away....anyway that's my 2 cents.:)

Not all of Canada has such stringent safeties.
Heims are accepted,wipers etc only if they were stock from the factory.
I say build what you want but if you're going to drive it use a little or a lot of common sense.
Maybe cos I'm old but nothing 'shocks' me anymore.

Latest posts

Back