Saving my garage

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I moved into my old home place after my parents passed away . I rebuilt the wood frame house and have it in good shape now . The garage , well , that's a different story .

It's cinder block construction and is 50+ years old . It was covered with vines , weeds and poison ivy . I was hard to see what was under all the vegetation . After clearing away all the greenery , it was an ugly site .

At some point it appears that the footer had cracked and settled pulling the front block wall outward about 11/2'' . How do I save this structure as I can't afford to rebuild it at this point .

If I remove the old remnants of mortar , will pointing up the joints with new mortar hold everything in place ? Has anyone else had this happen ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated .....

Thx,
Gonzo

Could you make some kind of anchors that bolt the front wall to the side walls, like a "L" bracket or something? Some pics would help.....

You need an on the ground assessment by a pro . Only way to do the job is correctly . Any building codes in your area ? They need to be considered before investing any money in a plan that might not pass muster .

A good Mudjacker should be able to hydraulic push it back into place with pumped cement if not... steady pressure and lots of time...
cinderblocks have hollow cores and you can run some 1/2" rebar down the void and fill it with cement. In basement repair it's called a "pier"

or you can tear down the bad block wall and replace it with wood. I have seen old 3 story buildings in small towns repaired this way the whole front or back removed and framed in with wood.

I am a professional carpenter, pics would help ALOT

Tension rods going from the wall in question to the opposite secure wall could do the trick. If you use cables and turn buckles you can apply pressure gradually

I know that I need to do this the right way . The problem with a professional handling it is finances . I've recently retired and haven't worked out the fixed income thing yet .
Thx

Gonzo

Latest posts

Back