SBC header question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

The headers have a 2.5" collector. Those reducers are 2.5" too but then neck down as they go rearward so you can use 2" if you want but if it were mine, I would cut the reducers off where they neck down and use 2.5".

That was my thinking too however, I hear that SBC's run best with a little back pressure and my pipes are only going to come off the headers roughly 1.75 feet, so there won't be much back pressure to start with.
I think I'll use the 2" reducers for now and see what it sounds like, then if I want later I can unbolt from the collector and build some with a larger pipe.

I just wanted to make sure my thinking was on the right track.
Thanks for the reply!

On a fairly stock engine 2" is fine. If you are getting into the 400HP range I would definitely increase the size. Also with mufflers back pressure should not be a problem. Hope burnout pics are coming soon.

What size are the primaries on the headers
That's where the hp and torque is made
The muffler is what creates the back pressure

What size are the primaries on the headers
That's where the hp and torque is made
The muffler is what creates the back pressure

1 5/8" primaries.
I'm running them upside down, with a mandrel bent tube and a pipe running beside the cab a foot or so.

I don't know the ratings on the 350. It was out if a 70's c10 PU and has been rebuilt once but I don't know the details on the rebuild. I assume it's nothing special as I figure the seller would have spec'd those out to jack the price up a bit more.

Yeah that "backpressure is good" myth drives me crazy. Backpressure just adds more pumping resistance and reduces power and mpg. It's all about scavenging and velocity. Where it is most critical on a normally aspirated engine is the header primary tube size more than the exhaust pipe size. High velocity in the primary tubes keep drawing on the exhaust port more than low velocity so it helps scavenge the spent exhaust better making more room for fresh air/fuel mix in the cylinder on the intake stroke which make more power. The lower the rpm range and smaller the engine, the less velocity coming out of the exhaust port there is so a smaller primary tube will be needed. The bigger the engine or the higher the rpm range the bigger the primary tube needs to be to move enough air for the engine combination.

I bought a program called "pipemax" that is designed to figure out header tube sizes on race headers. It lets you plug in all your engine specs and rpm range and it tells you the best primary diameter & length, the best collector diameter and length and loads of other info depending how serious of a combo you are working on. If you want stepped headers, it tells you the dia. and lengths of the steps. If you want to use a merged collector with a cone shaped colletor it tells you those dimensions too. Anyway, that is way beyond what we are talking about in your application but the concepts are the same.

One thing to think about on yours is that the 2" exhaust pipe will have higher velocity which will probably raise the pitch of the exhaust note... I think the slower velocity of a bigger exhaust pipe will deepen the exhaust note. I guess if it sounds funky with the small pipes, you can always go up in size later. Or, you could shoot for a middle ground of 2 1/4" :D

Here's a pic of the headers I built a while back for my drag car using pipe max to figure out the sizes/lengths. They are 1 7/8" to 2" steps with merged colletors.

coatedheaders002.jpg

Yeah that "backpressure is good" myth drives me crazy. Backpressure just adds more pumping resistance and reduces power and mpg. It's all about scavenging and velocity. Where it is most critical on a normally aspirated engine is the header primary tube size more than the exhaust pipe size. High velocity in the primary tubes keep drawing on the exhaust port more than low velocity so it helps scavenge the spent exhaust better making more room for fresh air/fuel mix in the cylinder on the intake stroke which make more power. The lower the rpm range and smaller the engine, the less velocity coming out of the exhaust port there is so a smaller primary tube will be needed. The bigger the engine or the higher the rpm range the bigger the primary tube needs to be to move enough air for the engine combination.

I bought a program called "pipemax" that is designed to figure out header tube sizes on race headers. It lets you plug in all your engine specs and rpm range and it tells you the best primary diameter & length, the best collector diameter and length and loads of other info depending how serious of a combo you are working on. If you want stepped headers, it tells you the dia. and lengths of the steps. If you want to use a merged collector with a cone shaped colletor it tells you those dimensions too. Anyway, that is way beyond what we are talking about in your application but the concepts are the same.

One thing to think about on yours is that the 2" exhaust pipe will have higher velocity which will probably raise the pitch of the exhaust note... I think the slower velocity of a bigger exhaust pipe will deepen the exhaust note. I guess if it sounds funky with the small pipes, you can always go up in size later. Or, you could shoot for a middle ground of 2 1/4" :D

Here's a pic of the headers I built a while back for my drag car using pipe max to figure out the sizes/lengths. They are 1 7/8" to 2" steps with merged colletors.

coatedheaders002.jpg

It never hurts to feed more information then what is asked for. I will gladly soak in all the in's and out's of particular things just for my own education.

I do know exhaust is a science, much more then tossing on a big pipe and the more I learn about it now, the more knowledge I have to arm myself for a more detailed, in depth, higher performance build in the future :)

Thanks for passing on your knowledge!

Latest posts

Back