sbc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52chevyrat

Ok guys here's the deal, i've got a 76 350 from a Camaro that has been sitting for 4 1/2 years, but, It ran when i pulled it out. In the process of building my truck i throught i would take the heads off and inspect everthing/ clean them up good and gasket match everything, but i found one of the intake valves has a big chip on it.
So what should a do, I know im going to buy a new set of summit cast heads. but should take the bottom end apart. I looked at the cyl. in question and there is no scaring at all. My budget is already streched out so i hope i can slap some new heads on and run it.

If I had an engine that far apart and out of the car, I would throw some new rod and main bearings in it, and maybe an oil pump. Not very expensive for a sbc. If you are changing the heads and there is no visible damage to the cylinder that had the chipped valve, I don't think there is a need to tear the engine completely down if you don't want to.

dont think you need to tear into it if there is no scoring but if you are going to put new headgaskets in you just as well buy the whole gasket kit and an oil pump. oil pumps are cheap insurance in my book and i think a new oil pump is around twenty bucks through mpc

I would go ahead and tear it all the way down. Have the block hot tanked, cam bearings, rings, rods, and mains, timing set and a new oil pump. It will all be fresh and should last a long time.

If it were me I'd tear it down completely and check everything...Better now than after you put those new heads on and find out its burning oil or has a knock or in a month spin a bearing. Its cheaper now, since it's out of the car.

Just my 3 cents..

Latest posts

Back