Scored a little victory this morning.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
Went to a local farm auction this morning to check out a 54 GMC 3 ton truck. It was licenced, and was still being used. Had a grain dump box, but the whole thing was in very good condition. I planned to bid up to a $3000 max. Turns out it had been owned new by a family I knew quite well, and the son was trying to buy it back. His dad owned a local wrecking yard that I was at a lot when I was growing up, and the whole family always treated me right for all the years I dealt with them. Well, the father had passed away a few years ago, the old truck held a little more meaning to his son than anyone else there. So, I decided to back off and not bid. Thought it might go to the the family with a $3500. bid. Bidding had stalled, and at the last second a gentleman bid $3600. The man wasn't from here, so he likely didn't know about the situation. But he did buy it fair and square. Someone must have said something later though, he seemed to be genuinely sorry for his last bid when he was paying up his bill. Someone in the pay out line asked what it went for, the gentleman piped up and said "$3600. seems like I bought it out from under the son of the original owner." He didn't sound to happy with him self. Don't know if it will ever get back to the original family, stranger things have happened. My little deal happened after that, I had paid my bill and was on the way to my truck. As I passed a pile of scrap that had been bought, I stopped dead in my tracks, sitting on top of a 5 gallon pail of scrap steel was a complete Holley 94 carb. Holy crap! It had most of the farm stuck to it, it was so dirty, but it looks like it was oiled or sprayed with something, so it attracted lots of loose dirt and dust. Everything is there, and it's not siezed at all. Now I have to find out who bought the scrap pile. Stood around for few minutes, and turns out a local who buys up scrap got this pile as well. I asked if he wanted to sell the carb. He asked what I wanted it for. (This for the most part, this is the 'kiss of death', as soon as they find out you really want it, it becomes gold.) But I said I was doing a multiple carb set up on a hot rod, and I needed another carb like this one. I got a, 'OK, how about two bucks, you need it more than I do'. I think I got dirt and grass in my mouth as I picked up my jaw! He got the two bucks, and I got the carb, I bet I'm happier than he is!! So in the end, I didn't bid against a family friend, and I got a steal of a deal on a carb I need. So, tell me more about this Karma thing!! Sniper :D :D

It was more good luck than good management on my part. Here's a couple of pictures of my $2.00 treasure. Sniper

Attachments

• Holley 94 a.jpg
    Holley 94 a.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Holley 94 b.jpg
    Holley 94 b.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back