Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FISHING TRIP !!!!!! good luck with heat problem. You mite want to try and put a smaller pulley on the water pump to speed up the water flow. Tobby
Hey Tobby, I'll look into that on future moves if needed. I'm sure a fishing trip will be planned soon. Junior has to hit a work load next week so I'm not sure when we'll get out again. Let me know if you want to go sometime, my boat is also running good...love to fish!

that fan should do the trick .. I dont think the pulley will help ... the thermo. will only open when it gets hot and if the water still isnt cool enough it will just stay open and then the water will not stay in the rad. long enough to cool down .. it will just get hot-ter Maybe a 160* thermo- state ??? is your timing good ? if it dont start like a new one when its hot , but does when its cold it may be to high .. I took the thermo. out of a toyota pick up and it run hot with-in about 4 miles ... the water was just goung round and round .. didnt have time to cool in the rad. well thats just my 2 cents ,, hope you get it to settle in some more ..

When I take this truck out of the barn and to the road, it's a mile and a half to the gate at the highway. I'm just coming into view of that gate when my thermostat opens and the gauge starts reading anything at all. Out on the road at the hottest times of day with temps in the 90s here, the hottest the gauge gets is 240. I can shut it off at that temp and the overflow tube won't even burp, so I don't think it's running too hot. Never above 240, even if I'm pushing it. Got about 100 more miles to go before hitting 500 on this one and i'll change oil and filters, re-time, tighten everything back up and drive it like I stole it.;)

Mixed reviews

Ok, got the new fan on and my tach filter in. Some mixed reviews on both. As soon as I had the filter on, I cranked it up. Still erratic needle on idle but off idle, it reads right. It's better anyway!:rolleyes:
Took it for a spin to check the temps. Now it will climb to 240 before I get to the gate but runs cooler at highway speeds.....any improvement now will probably be the addition of a shroud. I'm away from the radiator about 1 1/2" which is a little off from suggested 1" on the fan. We'll see!

Could your thermostat be opening a little late? Of course, I'm used to dealing with Canadian air for cooling, but I'm surprised that your temp is 240 in the first mile and a half, of easy going.
Good luck.

I think it's settling in...went for a ride about 3 pm today about the hottest part of the day and it never went over 200. I'm still watching it. I just got back from a nice afternoon with friends and am trying to post a crazy pic...be back!

Taking "a little off the top" to extreme

Spent an afternoon and a sundown with a couple of new friends today. Both are real characters and I enjoyed myself immensely! Fast friends come to mind. I had my knife out on the table and Mary thought about this crazy pic....heheh!
Disclaimer: no Smallfoots were killed or injured during the making of this pic...:D

Spent an afternoon and a sundown with a couple of new friends today. Both are real characters and I enjoyed myself immensely! Fast friends come to mind. I had my knife out on the table and Mary thought about this crazy pic....heheh!
Disclaimer: no Smallfoots were killed or injured during the making of this pic...:D
Brother, I hope the beard is still safe and sound! :D [cl[cl

Pretty cool SmallFoot.
that thing looked like a pop can from a boy scout fire pit when you brought it home

Another step in the sheet metal color

Got one more step and it'll be where it will stay for a while color wise...
Color:

B&W:

Sepia:

Looks great small foot!

Thanks man! I appreciate it...
I'm off shortly into Orlando to Advance Driveline. Been playing with trying to get the last of any vibrations this old body can still feel and have decided to let the pros balance the driveshaft. It's pretty good now but I just don't want anything that can make it better get slipped by;) I'm keeping the one I did for now and taking them another shaft to do, that way I can still ride around for now. I'm not sure what their turn around time might be, but we're fixin to find out.

:cool: That truck looks like it's always been together like you built it :cool:
*************************:cool:***************************

When you started your build thread I said to myself, "There's one that will never get finished." I really enjoyed being wrong in this case. Congratulations on a fine build, smallfoot.

:cool: That truck looks like it's always been together like you built it :cool:
*************************:cool:***************************

When you started your build thread I said to myself, "There's one that will never get finished." I really enjoyed being wrong in this case. Congratulations on a fine build, smallfoot.

Thanks a bunch for the props guys! Believe me, more than once people have shook their heads when I go into something with so little to start with...:D
It really helps to have others around that have struggled with builds before that have succeeded by just putting their heads down and plowing into it. "Ain't Skeered" comes to mind. While I'm not surprised that I got it done, I am a little surprised that it came out better than I thought it would. I've got what I was thinking about and that's quite satisfying to me and it's just a blast to run around in. Thanks again all for adding to the fun!!!

Just back from Advance Driveline. Turnaround looks like it might be 1 day for this. I took an uncut shaft and ordered new joints, cut to my size and balanced...they said tomorrow....okey dokey then!

Latest posts

Back