Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord I wish things would settle down a bit....it's been crazy lately around the old Sarge's place...into each life, a little rain must fall...but seriously, that is sweet with a capital SWEET....

Keep the attitude right Sarge! It's the only way we can pass thru the "valley"!!!

Thanks skull! I wish ya'll coulda seen some of the looks I got from my buds when I showed them the pile. It was a kodak moment that I missed...:rolleyes:

Smooth and cool

Got my driveshaft back from Advance Driveline. Let them do the whole deal on it...cut, balanced, new joints. Put that in this am and it smoothed my little vibration right out. Not bad for $202 and change...
Did my 500 mile break in oil and filter change the other day...also added a bottle of slick 50...motor is also running nice and cool.

Last edited:
Got my driveshaft back from Advance Driveline. Let them do the whole deal on it...cut, balanced, new joints. Put that in this am and it smoothed my little vibration right out. Not bad for $202 and change...

Think I'm going to end up going that route myself....

Think I'm going to end up going that route myself....
Bama, I highly recommend it! Everything rides so good I just couldn't live with the little vibe I was getting, knowing it wasn't doing the new tranny build any good. I'm beginning to think I wish all my vehicles rode like this little 31. It's a screamer and with all the curves in the roads in my area, it handles like a dream!
My shaft work was close but couldn't seem to adjust that last little bit of unbalance out of it without some help. I can't make much noise with those wide tires on the rear but it will turn em on. Heavy on the skinny pedal and every shift ya feel a little bark and slight bump sideways and down the road I go....

It's a good feeling when ya finally get the bugs worked out!!!!!

Oh yeah! For the last 12 years or so, outside of work on my home place, most of the work I've done was for other people and I finally broke down to do a bucket list item for myself....feels real good! Think I'll go for a Sunday ride!!!:D

2000 miles and all's well

A few things I've done lately. In an attempt to get a better view out the windshield, I lowered the front seat brackets by 1 1/4". The back brackets were flush to the floor but that little bit helped a bunch. That also caused me to rearrange my shifter box and stick some. My lowering the seat has the seat down on the hump so I cut the back 3" off my shifter box and figured some way to adjust the shape of the shifter so I have full use of all the gears. Some of ya'll might recognize my new shifter. It's from my 59 Panhead...:p

All along I've been chasing some leaks in the radiator. After the third leak showed up, I began to realize this 35 year old one might be just fatigued too much. Every time I'd take it out, clean it up, solder the hole shut and put it back in, another small seep would start somewhere else. Just got this one in from Amazon. Whodathunk you could find the exact one....:D

I'll also tell the tale of the failures along the way. No pix but the evidence would have been funny. On the way back from the auto parts store the other day I had a passenger and showing off some. Nailed it one time and popped my throttle cable. 5 minutes later, down the road I go with Andy's shoelace coming thru the windshield as a throttle....:rolleyes: Get home and the stance of the motor didn't look quite right. Further investigation showed a broken but not completely failed motor mount...ok welded and done with that. Minor problems along the way and still having a ball. New radiator goes in tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by!

The kick stand is a great shifter.
Better lucky on the radiator than having to refit another.
Man you're putting the miles on that ride. I may have only a 1000 on mine.

The kick stand is a great shifter.
Better lucky on the radiator than having to refit another.
Man you're putting the miles on that ride. I may have only a 1000 on mine.
Just about every day it goes for a short ride. I'm still studying a way to add some more gas capacity...maybe a small fuel cell between the rear rails. 8 gallons won't hardly get you out of town.:D I also had found some other radiators that would fit behind the A grill. Most are for tractors but they would work size wise. I wasn't entirely sure that the one in the chassis I bought was actually made for the 71 DJ5 Jeep until I found one online. It's designed for a 6 cylinder but cools this small v8 ok. The kickstand worked well as it had the 90 degree bend for attachment to a Harley frame that worked for the offset I needed to make the gear shift find all the gears. Before, it wouldn't quite get down to 1st gear and stay due to the seat.

I have watched this come together and it looks great. The stance is cool, but the patina finish just puts it all together. Keep on cruising and you will get the bugs all worked out and it will be fin..........wait a minute, they are NEVER finished. [dr

Got the new radiator in this am and put about 100 miles on today. Because it let me get rid of the funky tranny cooler out front of the old radiator, and doesn't lose any water, I sported 180-190 temps all day and it was rather warm today. Things are looking good.

Latest posts

Back