So, I've been wanting......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abomb

Banned
a 1955 chevy for about 25 years or so. Ever since my uncle bought one about my senior year in high school.
That's sort of a weird story as it turns out, the car my uncle bought was built by my father in law 3 states
away. I took girls to prom in that car 3 years before I met my wife, and when I met her dad, I was sort of
confused to see a picture of my uncles car hanging on his wall......

Long story short, my uncle sold the car in 1989, my father in law passed away in 2002 and I tracked the
car down shortly after......and called the current owner twice a year to try and buy it. I would have borrowed
the money if I had too.

He wouldn't sell, no way, no how....ever......I can respect that, I just wish he would actually drive it some,
but hey, it's his.......

After a little soul searching, I decided that my 55 Buick just wouldn't do, so a little wheeling and dealing and
viola (wahlaaaa)........my new project car.

55Chevy002.jpg

55Chevy003.jpg

Don't laugh, it's really solid under all the ugly, and it came with a 327 th350 drivetrain......

I pretty much spent every dime I had to get it bought, and get it running, but when I save up a little,
it'll get some better wheels and a new exhaust.

The paint and bodywork is pretty bad, and the brakes need gone through, but I've got it running good now, and the tranny seems to be okay, so considering what I paid for it, I think I got a great deal.

Here's a scan of the car built by my father inlaw, eventually owned by my uncle.

lastscan.jpg

I really envy guys that know exactly what they want and go after it, my problem is I want them all and don't get any. Good score on the 55 it looks very solid.

I really envy guys that know exactly what they want and go after it, my problem is I want them all and don't get any. Good score on the 55 it looks very solid.

That seems to be my problem with cars too!:D..Nice score, I love 55's....CR

I've always known what I wanted, it just took a while to get there. A tri five chevy hardtop is no cheap car, reguardless of condition. I worked my way up to it..... In the last 13 years I've had and rebuilt a 1958 chevy 2 door, 1959 chevy el camino, 1956 chevy 210 4 door wagon, 1948 ford tudor sedan, 1930 model A coupe, 1955 Buick Special 2 door sedan, I've bought and turned for profit 3 or 4 more cars, and this is next......not my last for sure, but I'll most likely keep this one.

Start with a cheap car within your abilities, build it, make a little $ on it, and move up a little on the project scale, do it over and over, and sooner or later your in a position to get your hands on your dream car......

Jeez.....I sound like the Dave Ramsey of cars......

Last edited:
Neat car. A friend is building a '55 hard top

It's in the bay back there
IMG_0011c.jpg

IMG_0013-5.jpg

we just picked up his engine on monday.

I almost like his build more than mine:confused:

i love to hear stories like that Abomb! those old 55's have always been a favorite of mine and my pick of the tri-fives......[cl [cl
keep us posted and most of all......enjoy it...(i'm sure you will since it will remind you of both an uncle and father-n-law)

HRP

Two words--- STRAIGHT AXLE!!!!!!![dr

While I like staight axle cars, I'm not so sure it works on a hardtop. If I had bought a sedan, I might already have the front end cut off....[ddev

I am going for the "old race car" look, at least for this year, basically because of my lack of funds at the moment. It's easier and cheaper to put some old looking lettering and rusty chrome wheels on it than spend time and money on bodywork and paint. Plus the car has some jr stock / modified production class tricks already done to it, I'm pretty sure it has spent some time at the track during it's lifetime.

Sometime this spring, it'll roll out of my garage looking like an old D/MP class or B/SA class weekend racer from 1968 or so.......rusty wheels and old paint included.......:D

Last edited:
'55 2 door hardtops are one of my favorite cars. I had one many years ago, before they were collectable. I like your plans for yours. Looks like yours is going to the bathroom.:D

Latest posts

Back