Speedometer....Go speed racer gogo

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellobox

I'm looking at a 77 porsche 924 and I want to see what everything is going to cost me before I go to purchase it. One of the big things is I need to get all the guages. I'm getting most of them from work at AutoZone but the biggest issue is the speedometer. I can get one but it gets only to 160mph. As most of you know it does 180mph stock as most porsche's do. But with the modifications we are making the car is expected to run approximately 230 to 250mph. With this being said does anyone know where I can get a speedometer that goes to 300mph?

By the Way

Here's the car I'm looking at:

Attachments

• DSCN0495.jpg
    DSCN0495.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0496.jpg
    DSCN0496.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 14
I hate to be the one to tell you this jellobox but somebody should. That 1977 924 never even came close to doing 180 mph in factory trim. If I recall, the top speed was in the 120 to 130 range. They only had around 100 hp that year.

By the way, there are plenty of Porshes that didn't/don't do 180 mph in factory trim. You might want to research that a bit. Your goal of 230 to 250 mph will be more difficult than you might think. Think about it, 250 mph is faster than an Indy car and well beyond the speeds that even the most powerful race prepped Porsches are producing. If you can find some documentation that says otherwise I'd be interested in seeing it.

To simply answer your question though, to obtain a 300 mph speedometer, you would most likely have to have one custom made for that particular car. I have never seen one. Some late high performance cars have them though. My Corvette has one. It looks like this. I doubt that it could be adapted to the Porsche though.

Last edited:
Had a German spec model of the 924 in stock trim only got about 210 out of it,,,,,,,that's 210 kmph or about 126 mph. Car only had a 1.8 ltr AUDI 4 banger in it not even a Porsche motor. Tho, it handled like it was glued to the road.

Are you thinking 250 down a drag strip with a top fuel motor? I bet it would be awfully hard to make a $9400 (when new in 77) car go as fast as the $1.4 million Bugatti Veyron with its main purpose of design was to be the fastest production car in the world.

dumbasses

well guys im deleteing this one cause the only info i had on the car was what the guy said and there was a lot there he had lied about. like that it was a front wheel drive 5 spd and as you guys know the max performance which i had planned to double. he wants only 1200 for it and a parts car together. thanks for all your guy's info and help. it helped me get more info i needed

Latest posts

Back