Spoons Chevy rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoon

Hi all. My build has started so I thought I should have it here for people to enjoy and maybe give me some ideas.

I will be running a 1993 hilux chassis with a holden efi 5.0 engine, a holden built 1947 Chevy truck cab with 1934 Chevy guards and grille and a hand made tub of a sort.

I bought a hilux and have sold more parts than it cost me, picked up a cab and found some mudguards. Luckily stumbled across a steel grille as well.
Have had first engineers visit and am underway with chassis mods mainly due to the fact that the engine is about a foot and a half further back than the standard Toyota motor. [;)[S[;)

image.jpg the only pic I saw of cab before buying it on EBay. Took the punt!!

image.jpg there has to be a better way off uploading photos on an ipad!

After ripping out all the old rusty cab floor it's onto a temporary frame

image.jpg
I drove the hilux home from 80kms away ( for you guys that work in miles divide by 1.62 approx[cl)
A couple of hours later I had a chassis. :)

image.jpg dummying up the front.
Because it's something very different I need to position the front guards so the wheels are in relevance to the arches, that will give me radiator position which in turn will allow me to position the engine location correctly which will then give me a firewall location so I know how far back or forth I can locate my cab..

Hope everybody understands my madness or sense in how I have worked out cab location and I am open to any suggestions.

image.jpg clearly this cross member will be in the way, especially as the torsion bar adjusters are under the transmission!!:mad:

Pops, a hilux is a Toyota 1 tonne two wheel drive ute. I think they may be called at ecu a in some country's.

image.jpg modified torsion bar mounting and they are now very clear of transmission with a 10mm plate bolted between to give strength but also allows servicing of trans.
Next on the list is to make engine and gearbox mounts. [;)[;)

Might be easier to set up a photobucket account or similar and link from those.

Is the steering rack and pinion? Can you cut back that front crossbeam if needed?

Last edited:
Pops...I didn't have a clue either...

Now I can say I learned something today.
Looking good. Good luck with your build.

Never heard of it and I don't follow the Toyota brand or other "foreign" cars much anyway....so you were not alone....could have said rollscanhardly...lol

It will be fun to see what you do. Mine is also on a Toyota frame. It's an 87 but looks identical. I pulled the torsions out completely for engine and trans clearance and bagged the front. It's a really easy conversion. I'm running them static for now. It rides and handles really well. I also put in a set of Belltech drop spindles so that I'm lowered without having to run the suspension much lower than stock.

Sam-fear yes I have already started cutting front rails to get them behind fronts of guards, it has steering box not rack.

Willy, I did think about bagging it but it really is a low budget first rod, my next one will be bagged for sure:). Trying to find a set of drop spindles but thee thin over here in Australia at the moment.

I had a photobucket account years ago maybe I best try and resarect it.

Please at any time if anybody sees anything I've missed or see something I could be doing please speak up. I have a plan and picture in my head but I'm learning as I go as well.

Latest posts

Back