starter wiring help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashori

IMAG0824.jpg

This is the style start l have on this 1970's SBC.
l was wonder in if anyone could tell me or show me what the wiring diagram is supposed to look like?

The big top lug is battery also feeds inside and usually alt.(I) terminal goes back to coil to bypass resistor during starting.(s) is start wire from ign switch.Lower lug is out to starter motor.

2006-08-06_205557_ja2.JPG

The resister goes between the ignition switch an the positive post on the coil.
It cuts the voltage down, after the engine starts, to keep the points from burning or sticking.
From your pic, the ignition switch wire is the red wire.

No, you have two wires in the wrong place. Switch the two skinny wires on the solenoid around. Do them like the drawing below.

Don

awiring001.jpg

Or, if you go from your drawing, just switch the two wires shown in red.

Note_20121220_214159_011.jpg

Thanks, that makes sense.
The alternator is a 1 wire version.
I will attach terminal 2 onto the battery lead of the alternator itself and terminal 1 onto the I-lead of the starter solenoid.

this is how I have the alternator set up...

Note_20121220_214159_05.jpg

You cant feed the excite wire (1) on alt off the ign on the coil or sol, it will cause the engine to keep running.Either run it through a resistor or a light bulb in series(alt light)from ign.

Attachments

• DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8
No, you have two wires in the wrong place. Switch the two skinny wires on the solenoid around. Do them like the drawing below.

Don

awiring001.jpg

Or, if you go from your drawing, just switch the two wires shown in red.

Note_20121220_214159_011.jpg

Be sure to check the (S) and (I or R) terminals on Sol . Found a pic with it on the right side and first pic shows it on left. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5
Maybe they did make them reversed like that, but every one I have seen the post that kicks the solenoid is on the left side of the fat battery post, looking toward the rear. I always remembered that because of how I use a flat bladed screwdriver to bridge the gap and crank the engine.

Don

Maybe they did make them reversed like that, but every one I have seen the post that kicks the solenoid is on the left side of the fat battery post, looking toward the rear. I always remembered that because of how I use a flat bladed screwdriver to bridge the gap and crank the engine.

Don

I was looking through pics and saw it reversed and knew first pic was a drawing but I couldnt remember for sure what was normal and was affraid I used a bad pic on the first one but was to lazy and cold to run out to the shop and check.LOL

every Chevy solenoid I have seen are marked S near the block and R outside, regardless the S terminal goes to the Sol on your switch through the neutral safety switch (if used)

You cant feed the excite wire (1) on alt off the ign on the coil or sol, it will cause the engine to keep running.Either run it through a resistor or a light bulb in series(alt light)from ign.

got it! thanks for the clarification....

Resister is there to reduce the voltage from 12

quick question about the resistor drawing on this pic going to the coil. I can use a light bulb to serve as a resistor? I suppose I don't fully understand the purpose of the resistor.

to about 8 volts....to save the points....will burn em out at 12 or higher..

Mo are you going to be running a HEI or points ignition? You won't need a resistor in the coil + wire if running the HEI, they take a full 12 volts.

As for wiring the alternator, you can put a light bulb in series with the #1 terminal to hot. You want the hot to be key on, then it runs to one terminal of the light, then run from the other light terminal back to alternator terminal #1. This way, when you have the key switch on, the light will be lit, as soon as the alternator starts charging, it will go out. I'm running a GM alternator on my Maverick and have it wired this way.

Just a little different than the Ford stuff you're used to! :D

Hey bro! How you been?
Right now I have a points distributor but was thinking of doing a pertronix upgrade if there is something like that for this distributor.

Latest posts

Back