Starting a new car show...need help please.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humfleet

My wife works with a non-profit organization called Dreams With Wings. They are a program that supports adults with developmental disabilities. Over the past year or so they have been struggling in this crazy economy. So the wife and I were talking about fund raising when it hit me like a ton bricks. Let's have **** car show.

So she asked the boss and she said to work out the details and start getting the word around. So here is the first place I thought I would start...

We do not have all the bugs worked out but we are looking at early September. Any information, comments, encouragement, freebies, you name it we can use it.

Here is the website just to show everyone this is a legit organization...

www.dreamswithwings.org

I wanted to go purely traditional rods but the wife said ( and I agreed ) that we should make it a pre-'73 show with bikes too.

These people do some absolutely great things for this community and they deserve as much support as they can get.

Wanting to have it here in Louisville but anywhere close would be fine. Still have not narrowed down a location. any help with that would be great too.

Yesterday, in the rain, we looked at a few places to have the show. Here is one place, the Water Tower. photo not taken by me but a beautiful setting and plenty of room to have the show. The other is Bellermine College here in Louisville( no pic ) . Its a nice comfortable place close to Bardstown Rd.

I have been working on the flyer. Its kind of general since we do not have a location yet.

So what do you say, can we get a little help?

Attachments

• car show place hopeful.jpg
    car show place hopeful.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
help

p.m. me and get me an address i will donate a couple pinstripe panels for your 50/50 or what ever raffle you might have,dp1 , george

Dogpatch man, that means a lot. Can't wait to see those panels. I have already told the sponser and their excited about them.

Keep them coming folks we appreciate all of your thought and support.

I agree that if you are having a show and trying to raise money for a charity that you should not limit the show to traditional cars only.

I'm a bit far away to physically help out but I can make a donation to the show in the name of the charity if you want. PM me if you are interested in something like that.

An idea I had years ago went I was doing a car show.

If your having trophies. I had all of my Trophies sponsored by local businesses. I would get the price of the trophies and would ask them to sponsored a class or the best of show. I would also let them pick the class they wanted to sponsored. After the first year I did it. I had all of the following years trophies sponsored with in a week after the show. I even had business owner come up to me and ask why they were not asked.

I had 18 classes and It did not cost my a dime for the trophies. The bottom plaque I would have the class and placed. On the upper plaque I would have the sponsor.

The other thing I did when I went out to get sponsors. I would also ask them if they wanted to sponsor Trophies or donate door prizes.

Tell them they can write it off and have a receipt for them.

If you going to have music Try to find a new DJ. Sometimes they will do it real cheap just to get there name out there.

Okay, man we are getting a lot of interest about this show and looks like it gonna be great.

First, Gastrick, instead of PM I though I would post the Dreams with Wings donation link they set up for fund raisers such as this so that anyone else that is too far away or not able to go can still contribute. Now I am not for sure how well the site works because it is really new but I will give you the mailing address. If you do chose to donate monetarily please specify that this is for the Rollin' Dreams car and bike show so the money is set aside for that purpose.

Here is the link: http://www.firstgiving.com/dreamswithwings

And the Address: Dreams With Wings Inc.
1579 Bardstown Road
Louisville, KY 40205
Whether you are donating monetarily or items please be sure to lable these "Attn: Rolling Dreams Car and Bike Show 2009"

If at all possible also, if do decide to contribute please PM me or post it here so that I can keep track of who sent what and when to expect it. We really appreciate all the interest in this and things are starting to really look up for the show.

Secondly, Hot40Rod this is a really great way to do the trophy thing. My first thought was to built some smaller versions of the Billetproof style trophies just for a different flare. PLus I have a lot scap parts and engine pieces at my disposal. so the cost would be minimal. But I still may be able to combine both our ideas and have the businesses chose a design to put their name to.

Thanks again for the great ideas and keep them coming.

Oh, and by the way we may getting a DJ service donated. Still in the air but it sounded good.

your just up the road from me, humfleet. count me in as a participant. most of the shows here in Hardin county are benefits for different charites. Tho, I would leave entries completely open. This way you don't exclude the younger set. As for location, you may want to check with the Metro Parks Dept. about using space at one of the parks. Iroquois has that show in Sept. Went to Last years Southwest Festival show @ Sun Valley. That was a fairly decent place for a show. Just some ideas.

Hey the Metro Parks is a good idea. Cant wait to see you there, where ever it will be. Still no word back from the Water Tower. I will definately check them out. We don't want to leave out anyone but I do want to keep an older theme. I am partial to rats and traditionals but I know I had better include a broader aspect to attrack more folks. I also checked out the Rust Queens, Rev, sweet we love to see them there in their fancy dresses.

hey humfleet,, i talked to the peopl at rust queens they said they would like to help,, they know alot of people ,,, here what they said!!!

Would love to help. What do you want from me. I mean what can I do to help? I mean I know I got a lot of skills but which one do you need help with.

I love the stuff you sent. Would love to find out more and find out what I can do to help.

heres their website,,,http://www.myspace.com/ratrodsandrustqueens

if you got some contact info sent it to me and i will pass it on!!
[email protected]

Sweet, I appreciate you getting back with me on that. We would love for the queens to show up with all of their Rat rods and friends. If they like they may be able to set up and sell some calendars or any other merchandise they have. At the moment we are still trying to narrow down a localle. It seems the Water Tower fell through, so we are looking in to Bellermine Univer. We talked to a new radio station that just started up 93.9 Classic rock. They sounded really interested in doing the music. But we're still on stand by until everyone gets back from vacation. Each place we call says "so and so is on vacation but they will be back monday."

Might be just the cold shoulder or this is prime vaca season. Who knows.

Keep those inspiring posts coming. We really appreciate it.

Well it looks like some things may have come through for us. Bellarmine University gave a quote for Labor day weekend and Dreams with Wings decided to go for it. So that allowed me to go ahead with the flyer.

Also 93.9 classic hits wants to have a meeting around the first of june about playing at the show. Sounds like things are starting to move forward. I would love some input on the the flyer.

Thanks to all of those that have helped. Mayebe now we can get a move on with this show.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
Well, how about an update.

Wednesday my wife and I had a meeting with Josh from

http://ratrodsandrustqueens.com/ .

Very cool and informative guy. He helped us out with many ideas things to watch out for. Now, today the Rust Queens and Josh( he's the photographer) are having a Pin-up art show down on Market street here in Louisville at Derby City Espresso. I going down to do a little supporting hope to see some folks from the area there. They will also be displayed at Rollin Dreams in Sept. They have some very cool things planned.

Thursday, my wife and I had a meeting with 93.9 Classic Hits/1440 EspN. They were very interested in doing the show and putting Dreams' name and show out there for everyone to hear. Very nice people and very cool station. They agreed to play the music at the show and do the call in broadcast type of setting. They are sort of on the same page we are as far as money and facilities are concerned. So they are just as eager as we are to get our names out. May start a great relationship for Dreams to announce many of their events.

Things are looking good...

Oh yeah; I want to ask a favor.

If anyone in the Louisville area has any old unusable pistons w/arms, rockers,cams, cranks, misc. car related items to donate for the trophies that would be awesome. Any shape. Wouldn't mind to have a few twisted armed pistons. I had a few things in my stash but not enough to do the trick.

I plan on making the trophies resemble the Billetproof/ Falls City Fanthom trophies. any help would be appreciated.

thanks again everyone.

Oh yeah; I want to ask a favor.

If anyone in the Louisville area has any old unusable pistons w/arms, rockers,cams, cranks, misc. car related items to donate for the trophies that would be awesome. Any shape. Wouldn't mind to have a few twisted armed pistons. I had a few things in my stash but not enough to do the trick.

I plan on making the trophies resemble the Billetproof/ Falls City Fanthom trophies. any help would be appreciated.

thanks again everyone.

My local machine shop/ engine rebuilder, had some cool trophy stuff, and so did the local auto repair shop.

Wish I knew about the deal on Market St sooner. Would have come up. Will check my stash. May also have some larger parts at work. The scouts detonated a Cummins the other week.

Rainman and Bruce thanks. Yeah anything motor related would work no mater the size either. Let me know we might could meet up somewhere in the middel if you end finding anything. thanks again

Humfleet loked around didn't see anything,yet. What kind of deadline you lookin at? I've got a couple more places I can look. My son just did spring cleaning in my first garage hauled off a load of scrap metal I'm sure we had some stuff that could have been used.

Latest posts

Back