steering shaft

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mess around making my own, it isn't worth it because of the threads you have to tap in and all. I have Speedway make up whatever length I need and it usually comes in under $100, including the ends. You can either get spherical rod ends or Ford tie rod ends too. Theirs comes with jam nuts and all already installed.

I have tried running a tap down these drag links and tie rods, and it is really hard to do especially to get them straight down the bore.

Don

Here, I pulled this up from Speedway's site. Actually cheaper than I remembered.

Plain Steel Tie Rod Kit - Custom Length
Specify eye-to-eye length in comments section of shopping cart.
KT $69.99

I do make them myself. I use 7/8" dia DOM, .156 wall. It taps directly for 5/8" fine thread. Have to drill out to 5/8" to tap 11/16" fine thread for Ford tie rod ends. I drill with a 3/4" bit just a little way into the end of the tubing to help the tap start. It is hard work, take lots of cutting fluid and is hard to keep straight. But if you are stubborn, cheap and retired so you have more time than money, it can be done. Oh, taps wear out fairly fast too.

I get DOM from my local steel supplier. You will have to call around, some carry it some don't. Guys building rock buggies use alot of it, and maybe you can get it from your nearest 4x4 shop.

''dom '', aint cheep .it may be easyer and cheeper to just buy it from speedway.
I usuallyt make all my own stuff but the price of metal is crazy anymore.

I have it and other tubing delivered from large suppliers.
With tubing, you get a way better deal if you buy more rather than just the stick you need.

On a related note, have you guys priced any steel tubing lately?? :eek::eek: I picked up some steel the other day to do Dan's subframe and while there I asked about a stick (25 feet) of 2 x 4 x 3/16 box tubing to build the frame for the next car I plan to do. We used to pay about $180, he said it is now $ 280-$300, and the price is changing almost every day!! :(

I've been pretty happy with the price I have been getting at the scrap yard when I dump some of our cutoffs, but it sure has jumped on the other side when you buy new stuff too.

Don

I think you need to find a new place to buy steel! I pay about $90 for a stick of 2x3 .188 wall, and about $130 for 2x4. Haven't bought any since about 2 weeks back. It does vary from week to week lately, but that seems pretty high. You guys have a wholesale account with the steel shop or just buying as a walk in?

It pays to go to a wholesaler and look thru their cut off or drop pieces. You pay for it by the pound that way. Maddog is right. When I go, I buy some of all the sizes I need. They always give me a better price that way.

Ron

Another way is to hook up with a shop or factory in your area. If you can get them to include your tubing in their order, it will be cheaper. I got a stick of 2X3 .188 about a month ago. When I called to check on a price, they gave me $167. I ordered the same thing thru a local shop and paid $93.

BTW...I use 7/8", .375" DOM for tie rods, panhard bars and drag links. The cut off pieces work well for things like brake pedal sleeves, coil over spacers, hair pin mounts, etc. because of the 1/2" I.D.

Ron

hey guys, Thanks a lot for the help. gonna get it in a few weeks almost have the frame ready to finish and then its on its way to bein put back together.

Jim

Latest posts

Back