Stinkbug look, will it return?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
I remember in High School, there was a '57 Plymouth with the back end jacked up and the rearend was painted white. I thought it was so "Boss". I wonder if any one still does that?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsSSrKnKO4

That crazy driver is Bill Mckinney, we use to work out and the same gym.

Last edited:
Like every other fad, that one had it's time and place. I remember a friend who wanted his 50 Ford jacked up in the rear so he took the rear end out, flipped it over so the spring pads were on the top and put the rear under the springs.

He let it down and we all stood back admiring the new bitchin' look. Then he decided to take it for a trial spin and when he put it in reverse to back out of the driveway it went forward, and when he put it in low it went backwards! :eek: (When you flip a rearend over you now have 1 gear in forward and 3 in reverse):D We all fell on the lawn laughing histerically and the car owner spent the rest of the day putting it back the way it was. :p

Don

I remember in High School, there was a '57 Plymouth with the back end jacked up and the rearend was painted white. I thought it was so "Boss". I wonder if any still does that?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsSSrKnKO4

That crazy driver is Bill Mckinney, we use to work out and the same gym.

Yep I had a few "shackled up s**t piles" myself but never painted the rear ends white although I had friends that did. We used to run clearance lights behind the grille or under the fenderwells too :eek: Never seen it anywhere else but in my little town a big thing used to be to run fog lights pointed straight down at the road .........before neon stuff so maybe we were just ahead of our time :cool::D

That clip with "Captain Redlegs" driving the Plymouth is one of my all time favorite movie scenes [cl Here's a better version of it that shows him gearing down to pick them up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDQCYsEZM&NR=1 [cl[cl[cl Yep Bill McKinney, one of the all time great character actors.........:confused: did I hear banjo music [ddd

I did it, too. 67 Impala SS on air shocks. I had to keep the shocks pumped to the max so the fender wouldn't cut the tire. :eek:

Oh, and a coil cut off the front springs. It looked like a big doorstop. :D

Man another flashback. I had a 65 mustang with the back end high in the air and had a pot leaf painted on the rear. M/T N60 tires on aluminum slots.

How many remember when they were also lighting up the rear.

Running the back up lights all the time!! I had a 63 Galaxie jacked up , put coils on top of the rear end!! Man was that thing stiff!!! Would bounce the wheels of the ground!! Red rears was our color of choice!! We also did the lit up fenderwells!! Some would back light cragar ss wheels too!!

Well heck, how many spent more then a few hours painting the letters on our tires with model car paint cause we couldn't afford raised letter tires. Then watched as the paint yellowed over the next few weeks only to have do it again![cl[cl

Didn't we all????

54 Ford...62 Ford....62 Chevy and 64 lemans....had lights under the front wheel wells....behind the grill and had the rear end jacked up so high you couldn't see the people in the vehicle from behind.....rear end would be white or some other contrasting color of the car....buddy had a 65 two door caddie with the back so high he didn't have to bend over to flip down the license to open the fuel tank and fill it.....gas was 19 to 22.9 cents a gallon...those were the days!!! 5 bucks would allow you to cruise all night....if you didn't race at every light...LOL

gotta ask?????

Where did the "stinkbug" handle come from....here we just called them down hill racers......at least we did when it went out of style...prior they were just C O O L!!!

Where did the "stinkbug" handle come from....here we just called them down hill racers......at least we did when it went out of style...prior they were just C O O L!!!
Hmmmmm, I heard that handle on the other site (we will not speak of...). By the time I got my license, that look had gone away. However, I did have a '65 Chevelle running 11" slicks in the stock wheelwells. I trimmed the lip and used a baseball bat to roll the wheelwell out to clear, then I ran 13" slotted rims in front to get the big/little stance.

....... It looked like a big doorstop. :D

One of my friends older brother had a '65 Chevelle with the doorstop look. The thing was jacked so high in the back that the front bumper nearly drug the ground. There was so much negative camber in the front wheels that the center of the tires never touched the ground :eek: We used to joke that he got three times as many miles out of his tires because he'd wear the insides off them, turn them around on the rims and wear the other side off then put them on the rear and wear the middle out of them [cl[cl:D

When I was a kid, one of my older sisters dated this guy that had a '67 GTO that was jacked up like that. I thought he was the coolest guy ever. I've wanted a GTO ever since :D
If I ever get one, I don't think I'll be repeating that trend though.

I went to Calf. when i was 10 ( 1960 ) and all the cars were jacked up in the rear . I asked my dad why whey were like that . He said they were mountain climbers and they could see over the hood when they went up the mountain .

Works for me.....

I went to Calf. when i was 10 ( 1960 ) and all the cars were jacked up in the rear . I asked my dad why whey were like that . He said they were mountain climbers and they could see over the hood when they went up the mountain .

I'll be it satisified you at the time........LOL

The look still lives...

At this springs car show.... 62 Nova 4 door, sidepipes, wing, cowl hood, dual antenas, skulls and other decorations, yellow highlights all over, tires to big to fit in the wheel wells, (notice the bias/radial tire mix), shackles and air shocks, rope lights in the wheel wells and under the hood. Owner likes to do one tire burnouts as often as possible...

Yea I did it too :eek:
I was so broke back then that I used pieces of wood in between my front coils to raise the front up and then take them out and put shackles on the rear to raise it.
My friends never knew which way mine would be on any given weekend [ddev

Jim

Latest posts

Back