Stolen Car in Canada

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is exactly why you should never take a cashier's check, they are very easy to falsify. I only accept a bank wire transfer when I sell cars and the car never leaves my possession until good funds are transferred into my account. If a buyer doesn't want to transfer money into your account then forget them. :eek:

Toad

Yeah I had a guy try that cashier's check trick on craigslist a few years ago before it was a well known scheme. I didn't fall for that one for a second.

It simply amazes me that people fall for any of this crap!

Everyday we take reports of people who have been duped by con men....most of the time it's due to greed on the part of the person who is duped...In the last two days i've taken reports from persons who have received a cashiers check in the mail with directions to deposit it and send (wire) a part of the money to a person thru western union....they deposit it and then wire out the money thinking that will make a cool couple thousand and low and behold the check is no good...imagine that!![S

I saw that on another forum, too. I hope they find the car and the thief, but the seller made the dumbest mistake in recent history. You can't trust anybody or a piece of paper. Certified, stamped, marked with the blood of Christ, it doesn't matter, make sure you have the funds.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I'd love to see the look on the thief's face if the seller had said, "Let me call the bank and verify this". :eek: :D

They prey on the people who want to do the deal

quick.....figure what could be safer than a "Cashiers" check.....had to pay money for it right???? Wrong.... I have about a hundred or so phony checks in my property room...not just cashier's checks but home printed business checks that weren't worth the paper they were printed on.....these guys are good at what they do and they seem to always find a sucker....you feel bad for them, but it is self inflicted pain.....In any event, I'm sure that the Police have run the plate on the trailer but my guess, it was stolen off of something else....or the trailer and truck were both stolen.....JMHO..

yep, everytime I get an email from a craigslist scammer, I just respond with: "You bring cash, and I'll help you load it in your truck". Oddly, I don't generally hear back from them.

quick.....figure what could be safer than a "Cashiers" check.....had to pay money for it right???? Wrong.... I have about a hundred or so phony checks in my property room...not just cashier's checks but home printed business checks that weren't worth the paper they were printed on.....these guys are good at what they do and they seem to always find a sucker....you feel bad for them, but it is self inflicted pain.....In any event, I'm sure that the Police have run the plate on the trailer but my guess, it was stolen off of something else....or the trailer and truck were both stolen.....JMHO..

You got it, Sarge. The truck and trailer were stolen vehicles as well. The seller lives in a very small town (where people still trust each other), and he was definitely targeted. An "easy mark" if you will. I bet the "deal" was made on Sunday, and the car was in a shipping container or a chop shop before the bank opened in the morning.

These types of extensive records.....

You got it, Sarge. The truck and trailer were stolen vehicles as well. The seller lives in a very small town (where people still trust each other), and he was definitely targeted. An "easy mark" if you will. I bet the "deal" was made on Sunday, and the car was in a shipping container or a chop shop before the bank opened in the morning.

this is when that facial recognition software would be of benefit....very expensive, not fool proof but gotta believe that the RCMP or whatever larger agency near the location of theft might have availability to it..... my guess this guy has done this a lot!! And will have a pretty extensive criminal history......con men usually do...they just change the scam...but maintain their MO's...

Sarge, the matter will definitely be the RCMP's issue considering the rural location. I don't know offhand what technologies they have available or what lengths they're willing to go to. That said, the old RCMP adage is "They Always Get Their Man". We'll see if that rings true. Of course, it all hinges on how much effort and manpower can be dedicated to the case. But, if this can be connected in any way, the odds increase considerably and the tools will come out.

Sarge, the matter will definitely be the RCMP's issue considering the rural location. I don't know offhand what technologies they have available or what lengths they're willing to go to. That said, the old RCMP adage is "They Always Get Their Man". We'll see if that rings true. Of course, it all hinges on how much effort and manpower can be dedicated to the case. But, if this can be connected in any way, the odds increase considerably and the tools will come out.

What's always a bit frustrating in this business is that you really have to decide if the case is worth investing time and personnel....if you have leads or other info then you might go ahead with the investigation, but a lot of departments look at this as victimless as they have insurance....in this case, it's a motor vehicle theft and likely, the insurance will cover it, so actually the the real victim is the insurance company and they really won't pursue it unless the perp is caught... this is exactly why motor vehicle theft is handled by special units that only deal with car thefts.....and they only act on theft rings or such where the arrests are notable.....leaves us common folk to fend for ourselves.....hopefully somebody will see, hear or have info that makes this case worthwhile to pursue......[P

Latest posts

Back