Switching from generator to alternator (56 Plymouth)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocks&AKs

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm afraid of generators. They just seem like they work on voodoo to me. I'm a big fan of alternators.

As such, I have quite a few extra GM alternators floating around the garage. I'd like to put one on my Plymouth.

One of the things I'm more afraid of than generators is letting the smoke out of my car.

So I was wondering if anyone has done a similar conversion, and if so, if they would be kind enough to share some info with me.

I can fab the required brackets, it's the wiring I'm unsure of. Can i use the same regulator? Do I need a ballast resistor? I know theres not many wires but I dont want to cross them up.

I did find this drawing but I dont know if it relates to my situation or not quite honestly.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mount2w.jpg
    mount2w.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 29
I scarfed this from the internet:

In the 1930's through the early 1950's, cars that had positive ground were Auburn, Chrysler, Cadillac (to 1942), Crosley, DeSoto, Dodge, Ford, Frazer, Graham, Hudson (1934-1957), Hupmobile, Kaiser, Lafayette, Lincoln, LaSalle (except 1934-35), Mercury, Meteor, Monarch, Nash, Packard, Plymouth, Reo, Studebaker, and Terraplane (1934-1937). The big switch to negative ground in North America occurred in 1956 with the adoption of 12 volt systems.

Cars with negative ground were Buick, Cadillac (from 1946), Chevrolet, Essex, Hudson (before 1934), LaSalle (1934-35), Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Willys. So before 1956 manufacturers with negative ground cars were in the minority.

Toad

One wire alternaters sure make things easy. Just a hotwire to the bat. I'm pretty sure Ebay sell kits to turn a GM into one pretty cheep.

I believe your coil requires a ballast resistor on the switched hot lead comming in. They'll make too much juice and cook the points if ya don't have one. Also might cause radio inteference?

PA41

Not sure what you have but maybe this will head you in the right direction.

Attachments

• DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
If the diagram above is correct you need to go from "B" off the old reg to bat and 2 on alt, and from "A" (gen light) to 1 on alt.

Latest posts

Back