Taking "traditional" to the extreme

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I saw that and kinda shook my head too. What this reminds me of is the hardcore restorer types who ding a car for having the wrong thread count on the gas cap! :confused:

The ones that really make me wonder are the ones who post to get "permission" to do this or that to their car for fear it might "not be traditional." My cars are far from period perfect, I like the essence of old timey rods, but am not locked into using only parts that were available before 1957! :D I want to drive my cars and things like alternators, electric fans, modern steering boxes, etc just make the car so much more dependable and safe.

The other ones I like are the questions about "what color should I paint my car?" How can anybody but you pick something as important as final paint? :confused:
Personally, I have never been that concerned about what others think.

Don

I think its a legitimate question, but for an area that will not be seen on a car I dont see the difference.

I understand wanting to build a traditional rod, but many times people forget people were building things with little to no money. they werent chosing engines and trannys because they were cool, they were using them because they were cheap.

Isn't it nice to be on a forum that accepts what "YOU" want to do to your car? Maybe I should care, but I don't give a rat rods rearend what someone else thinks of what I"m driving. I'm sorry maybe I should have said a traditional rods rearend :D
I figure it's my car and as long as it's safe to drive I'm happy...and in this case it would "be all about me" because its my butt in there (or someone I care about), so to heck with the traditional bull.

Hey guys...can I have your permission to build my Studebaker with modern suspension, brakes and steering so I can drive it and maybe meet up with some of you this summer without worrying about break downs? Thanks in advance for your permission :rolleyes:

AMEN!!! So many of these "period perfect" rodders are nothing more than restoration geeks in hot rodders clothes. I get so damn tired of hearing the word "correct". As I see it, and as I have seen it, having been around 60+ years, From the beginning, rodders have always been about the business of improving the looks and performance of their cars. I cannot fathom how anyone can look at the use of bias ply tires, drum brakes and a generator as an "improvement". I love the style of a traditional rod, but the name of the game in my book is evolution. I hardly think that the rodders of fifty years ago, wouldn't be using ohv engines and disc brakes had they been as available as they are today. Id be willing to put up my crate motored sbc against any street driven flat head, any day. Both in performance and reliability.

Hey guys...can I have your permission to build my Studebaker with modern suspension, brakes and steering so I can drive it and maybe meet up with some of you this summer without worrying about break downs? Thanks in advance for your permission :rolleyes:

No. :rolleyes::D And while you are at it, do a search.:D

Don

I could see where he's coming from if he was restoring an original streetrod or dirt tracker, but a replica:confused:. I am glad that this site exists because half the things Ive done to my cars would get me "hambbanned". I almost hope that the HAMB's strictness comes around, it really scares away all the newer guys (like me:().
Thanks for the Posting, it enlightened me hahaha
preston

P.S. Do the Hambers know that flat black is as traditional as it gets:D?

In a world already too full of rules, it's cool to be able to drive what you like without having to ask others if it's correct. This site is cool. That's all I have to say about that.

To me traditional was using what you had or could modify to fit, what you found in the junkyard usually. They would surely have used square tubing if they had it.
Just don't make headers out of it, ok?

Latest posts

Back