Taking "traditional" to the extreme

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to thinking about this.... It would mean arc welding, or torch welding, no mig, and no phillips head screws. Period correct oil, and regular gas are going to be a bear to find.

it's funny... I think "traditional" hot rodding is subjective, as if "rat rodding" some look at a traditional rod and think it looks like a rat rod. But other true traditionalists will get all up in arms about it. Personally I think one is NUTS to spend and excessive amount of money on parts just because it was supposedly used "back in the day". Who is truly to say what is or isn't... Ask an older guy that was there then you'l know for sure...

No, your air is only corect for 4.5 inch bolt pattern Ford steel rims made from 1936-7 with V8 center caps.....

I happen to have run into a full flegded hamber at my local Poopboys. There was a real nice looking flat green 37 pickem up. My old man went ahead and asked him if it was a rat..... the smile ran away from the guys face.

:p
Preston

thanks!

This really brightens up my day (what's left of it).

hmm.. square tubing headers.... that sounds out of the box!

I know a guy who is a perfectionist. He was an airline pilot, so maybe that's where he got it. Anyway, he restored a '61 Corvette right down to the 283 dual quad set up that caught fire afterwards just like it did originally. This would have been back in the late 70s or early 80s. Anyway, he took it to a concourse-judged show, and was screwed, literally! The judges found that ONE trim screw was incorrect! So his car got a 99 out of 100. That ticked him off so badly, that he sold the car ASAP, and got in to John Deere tractors (another story).

I feel sorry for those who search for "perfection" or "acceptance" based on a set of rules, whether it is cars or some other hobby. Life is too short for that.

On the other hand, I shoot for perfection where it matters, not where it shows (like good brakes!!).

440shorty

The irony is the people who are searching for "perfection" in a term that is completely subjective. There are no written guidelines in building something considered "traditional" or "rat" or "kustom", the list goes on. To take a fun hobby and turn it in to a Pebble Beach judging format removes all the fun of enjoying what you are building. IMO

We used a lot of water pipe in the old days, and angle iron too. I bought a '33 roadster one time in about 1959, and the rear radius rods were made from about 1 inch water pipe. They didn't use rod ends, they just heated and flattened the ends and drilled a hole through it. :eek: We built some real crap back then.

Angle iron was also pretty available. The first time I remember using square tubing was sometime in the late '60's, but it may have been used by others way before that.

Don

I prefer the use of 1" x 2" tubing over square tubing. Mainly for the support in building interior body supports and such items as places to mount essntial interior items. I helped an associate build a complete bucket with 1x2 framing tube. Then he skinned both sides with insulation and sound deadning materials. The whole beast was a neat work of art and has good srong feel to the mess. His doors are built the same way. It was either use round tubing or 1x2, the 1x2 was a better choice. IMO, if it works and is safe to ride in, then it shouldn't be condemned by those who think they are the gurus of this hobby. I have met alot of real dinks who never were able to think out of the box! Heaven forbid if their circle jurk companions ever found this to be true.:eek:

Nothing like a bunch of hand tossers at a local drive through:rolleyes:

Maximo

Latest posts

Back