Texas Titles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone explain to me what a "Blue" Texas Title is?

I believe that means it's a clear title with no leins. I think a title that has a lein on it is red. I'd check that out but I think that's the story!

I've used a title service for years & I just called the woman that runs it. She said that was the way they used to do it, where the red or an off colored one was a "non-negotiable" title but now they're all blue. Now it will just show on the front of the title if there is a lien or not... not different colors.

BoB

I'm looking at a Harley frame with title and In the add the guy stressed that it was a blue Texas title. Just wondering if there was any issue with them.

Thanks

Most titles are blue, but a quick title can be brown. All same and good. What you need to look for is whether it has a "recorded lien" and if so, is it signed off as "released of lien". Can be difficult to clear the lien even if the vehicle is paid off. Some people will pay it off at the bank, but never have it recorded as paid in Austin, Tx. and then when someone get's a lost title, the lien will still be recorded. Some liens may have never been paid off and a bank somewhere will still be the owner. An unreleased lien will have to have the lien holder release it before it is negotional.

Another thing to watch out for is that the title is signed in front and also in back by the registered owner and not someone else. The part in back is title assignment to the buyer. A lot of times this is just signed over, but not assigned to anyone. Will be blank, no buyer. This is considered "Open". Be sure it has not been signed over in back to someone else. This can get very sticky quick.

If it's signed in front and signed over in back--and not signed over to anyone, then it's a good "open" Texas title, and easy to work with. Would also be good to get a signed "seller's affidavit" along with the title. Needed for title transfer in Texas. Joe.

The title is good. It was in the Company's name I bought it from. Title and bill of sale. It went right through here in Pa. Now I am just waiting for the frame to show up. Its coming by Grayhound.

Thanks for the info. guys

Most titles are blue, but a quick title can be brown. All same and good. What you need to look for is whether it has a "recorded lien" and if so, is it signed off as "released of lien". Can be difficult to clear the lien even if the vehicle is paid off. Some people will pay it off at the bank, but never have it recorded as paid in Austin, Tx. and then when someone get's a lost title, the lien will still be recorded. Some liens may have never been paid off and a bank somewhere will still be the owner. An unreleased lien will have to have the lien holder release it before it is negotional.

Another thing to watch out for is that the title is signed in front and also in back by the registered owner and not someone else. The part in back is title assignment to the buyer. A lot of times this is just signed over, but not assigned to anyone. Will be blank, no buyer. This is considered "Open". Be sure it has not been signed over in back to someone else. This can get very sticky quick.

If it's signed in front and signed over in back--and not signed over to anyone, then it's a good "open" Texas title, and easy to work with. Would also be good to get a signed "seller's affidavit" along with the title. Needed for title transfer in Texas. Joe.

A bill of sale will also work instead of the sellers affidavit.

Latest posts

Back