The official T bucket truck project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Well folks, I now have in my shop a 27 T bucket all steel body. Doors function, but needs some sheet metal work. My plan is to build a truck. ,Not the typical shorty type either. My plan is to buils it with a 5 ' bed on it, and slammed to the ground. I have the front axle from a 39 I believe, and a 10 bolt Camaro posi rear end, with buggy spring suspension. I'm going to attempt a unibody design , incorperating the cab with the bed as one bolt down unit. Center to center on the axles will be right at 13 1/2 feet. I took delivery on a freshly built mild 289 with a C4 behind it. I'll post photos as I go along. Anyone know where I can find some wire wheels on 4 3/4 bolt pattern?

Here's some photos of what I am starting with.

0101011829.jpg

0101011830b.jpg

0101011830.jpg

I will zee the frame , so it doesn't hang up high.

Ok, I have a question here. Would it be totally wrong to trim off the top of the bucket ? I guess, what I mean is to trim the back level to the doors and the rest of the cab. I don't really like the flip up in the back. Any thoughts? Would it look wongo like that?

Ok, I have a question here. Would it be totally wrong to trim off the top of the bucket ? I guess, what I mean is to trim the back level to the doors and the rest of the cab. I don't really like the flip up in the back. Any thoughts? Would it look wongo like that?

The taller back part of the cab gives it the classic T bucket look. I think if you trimmed it level with the doors, it would just look like many other roadsters. I vote to keep it high [P.

The taller back part of the cab gives it the classic T bucket look. I think if you trimmed it level with the doors, it would just look like many other roadsters. I vote to keep it high [P.

Yes, I got to looking at it last night and decided that was a bad idea . I am ordering my suspension parts today and hopefully will have myself a roller by the weekend. Got some steelies yesterday and they are on the axles.I remeasured everything and it look like center to center on the axles will be right at 12 1/2 ' more or less. I'm gonna make the truck bed using sheet metal and 1" tubing.The truck below is something like what I am going to build. Only lower in the rear and a hair longer.

modeltttruck.jpg

Nice start for a ride. I have a 27 cowl with a sheetmetal body an this is what it will look like with the body cut off. I would however like a longer bed , but not as long as the above pic. The doors and tail gate are just bead rolled. I'll try and post more pics to get you some other ideas. Rob Urey built the body for this RPU.

Attachments

• my 27  29  hotrod.jpg
    my 27 29 hotrod.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 144
Nice truck. See, I think that looks good. The bed in the photo I showed is a little too high in the air for me. Mine will be closer to the ground and more level with the top of the bucket. On another note, I chopped my frame tonight and stack it on top of itself right in front of where the body will mount. It still looks like my spring will hoist my ride too high in the air once finished. I need to ask a question here. How much will my 289 v8 with auto tranny squat the frame once installed? I mean just a good guess would help me in determining what I needto do . I still have to lower the springs by lowering the spring pivots to below the bones.

A few photos of the frame chop and stack. Any thoughts as to how it will sit once the motor and tranny are in? Still looks a little high in the front to me
0104011751.jpg

0104011751b.jpg

Nice truck. See, I think that looks good. The bed in the photo I showed is a little too high in the air for me. Mine will be closer to the ground and more level with the top of the bucket. On another note, I chopped my frame tonight and stack it on top of itself right in front of where the body will mount. It still looks like my spring will hoist my ride too high in the air once finished. I need to ask a question here. How much will my 289 v8 with auto tranny squat the frame once installed? I mean just a good guess would help me in determining what I needto do . I still have to lower the springs by lowering the spring pivots to below the bones.

I have a 260 and a T5, it squats my Posie's slider about 2 inches. Right now it is about 100 pounds light tho, still in mockup.
I am using the back half of a 26-27 T touring, about the same profile as the roadster pickup I suppose. I have shortened the bed down to 38 inches, just so the tires center up in the middle of the bed. Other wise pretty close to the same as the black rpu. Except I used a 29 A 4 door cowl.

I just noticed your front spring, it's huge. I think you would be a lot happier with a Posies or Speedway front spring, reverse eye. I think they are around 100 bucks.

Ok, a couple of questions here. I cut my frame last night and stacked the front section onto the rear to give it a 3" lift in the front. I'm wanting my Bucket to be as close to the ground as possible for the look I want.Is just stacking the frame gonna be enough? Just looking at it, I'm thinking it needs about 5 more inches. And, I have to also figure how my motor and tranny will fit in there and not be scraping the ground every time I hit a bump. Any inout from you builders out there? Photos with a little guideance? I'm using a buggy spring suspension in the rear and plan on zeeing the rear to level out the frame. But, I need to figure out how much zee I will need right in front of the bucket. Also, I know I can raise my spring block in the front to lower the frame, but I just want to make sure my motor has enough ground clearance.Thanks for any advice here. BTW , right now all I have is a 3" zee in the front.

like Willowbilly said, your front spring is HUGE..I'd get a better spring before I messed with the frame anymore..would make it easier to figure out what the frame really needs

Latest posts

Back