The Reeper (rat rod jeep)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure that isn't how you spell reaper, and yes a jeep as a ratrod? I've seen plenty done, and only a few of them looked moderately good to me. Given they have had tons of hours put into them which i respect great workmanship.

Anywho, reason for a jeep you may ask? Well they are a dime a dozen up here in ontario, they usually sell for cheap once they start needing work, which is fine by me, alot of the parts will be coming off. I don't have one as we speak but i am in the market for one now. If any of you ontarians see one for a good deal let me know!

Some other advantages would be the short wheelbase, i like shorter rats, look better in my opinion. The two options of 5 bolt pattern rims are easy to find some for it, they have a straight axle front, which i will be leaving but not connecting a drive shaft, I'm cheap and an old drop axle isn't. In the engine department, i will more then likely leave what it has in it, (usually straight 6) It's different, they provide plenty of power, It will be nowhere close to a fast car anyways, and i have a bunch of parts engines. If i felt like switching, i could put a 350 sbc in that i have lying around. If i keep the 6 the 350 will become parts money for it, or vise versa. Another thing would be the 5 speed, i hate automatic.

Pictures will soon be up of some stuff i have around here that I plan to use. They don't seem to want to work tonight! [S

I like the Jeep idea. I have a 2003 Robicon that I put Currie and Old Man Emu suspension in. Rides like a cloud. It would work great as a hot rod suspension. Look for a TJ model with coils vs leaf spring.

I'm in the process of picking up parts to build something similar. I have a 55 M38a1 tub, Samurai frame and axles (I know they are weak - but the price was right - FREE!), t90 transmission and Dana18 t-case and I'll be picking up a 1955 Chevy inline 6 very soon.

I plan on keeping the rear end parallel leaf spring with drop blocks, but fabricating some brackets to make the front a suicide spring setup with hairpin rods. If this works the say it does in my mind, I'll be able to use the front spring hangers to mount the hairpins to and have the front end completely in front of the frame.

Can't wait to see some pics of your build!

Yup... me too... looking for something I can get driving for few $$$ as I'm looking to rebuild the original motor in my 38 Nash...

I have an 80 CJ-5 that I used to compete in, & is worth more in parts than it is as a Jeep these days... plus it's old school, before all the aftermarket suspension stuff, so it has some pretty crude home built modifications that worked at the time, but there are better offerings in these days of common CNC machines...

I'm looking to weld on a newer Lincoln rear air suspension sub frame, that my buddy has sitting in his shop, do an easy Z on the front frame, lengthening it, & allowing about 4" of lowering I'll use shorter trailer leaf springs, & some sliders, instead of shackles to aid in the lowering... I'm still shopping for a straight axle yet... want to get it out front of the stock grill, which I may section about 4" out of, & I want to put a flat hood on it, to protect the engine from rain, but not use the front fenders or wrap around hood... also thinking about sectioning 4" out of the windshield frame, after I get it on the road...will likely box off the back, level with the inner fenders... looking to put a 70's to 80's Chevy 350 & truck tranny in it, but could also do a 4.3 5 speed from an S-10 ???

anyway... looking forward to some pics of your project...

Something to think about on the four wheel drive front axles.

What we have did in the past is cut the axle tubes on each side of the cast iron hawg center section. Removed the cast and slid a piece of tubing over the axle tubes. We was able to find a piece the was a perfect fit for the 10 bolt corporation axles that we used.

We modified the axles for demolition derby trucks because the cast would brake. But if done well you should be able to make it look clean for a rat. It's a little redneck but its cheap.

Why Not ?

Had fun building it and doubled my money and fun to drive. Win Win Win

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 59
what is the front end out of that one ^^^

BTW... that one looks awesome... I did a www Jeep Hotrod search, for inspiration pictures, & that picture came up several times... so I have it in a file of pics...

Hey Jagger

We seem to have several around my neck of the woods with lots of mileage and rotted frames for decent prices...if you google Jeep rat rod...there are lot of guys out there that have done ratty Jeeps...get something you can get parts for tho...I am an owner of an antique Willys Jeep...super cool to look at but a pain to get parts for and stupid money when you do find parts you might need for it...
Good luck in your search for a donor...if you can cut and weld you shuld be good to go...post pictures when you find something...

MikeC

Got the hole car for $50 and used the front suspension, engine, trans, brake pedal ass. shifter, lots of wire and switches.
And yes pinto and mustang II are the same, some four bolt lugs some five only cheaper or you could go to after market and spend $3000[S

I think the bigger Cherokee pick-ups had a straight axle in 2WD... & some of the early ( full sized ) Grand Cherokee's... but for the last couple body styles, they have been a-arm front suspensions

Latest posts

Back