The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! When you update, you REALLY update! Your Dad's deck looks great! Those look like bomber seats to me. I like the forward tilt on the dash. Your boy needs to stay alert behind the wheel - that one pic looks like he was sleeping. I'm undecided about the grill idea.

For whatever reason, the car started feeling really small this past weekend.

It might be that these seats are placing me a couple inches forward of where I was sitting on just wooden blocks.

It might just be that I saw gigantor sitting in it.

Edit:
I went back and looked at pics of where my butt and shoulders sat as well as where the steering column was positioned (at the firewall). I need to go back some.

NOW
IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0492-1.jpg

THEN
HPIM0685.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried getting in and out with the wheel in place? That looks kinda tight, but what can ya do....

I'd move the seat back as far as you can manage. You look right in it, but you're gonna have to build another one for the boy.

Have you tried getting in and out with the wheel in place? That looks kinda tight, but what can ya do....

I'd move the seat back as far as you can manage. You look right in it, but you're gonna have to build another one for the boy.

Yeah, there is definetly a technique to it (doing it while the car is sitting on a table is really fun). I'm gonna have to make sure there are clear stepping points right in front of the seats. One right next to the transmission and one right next to the outside frame rail.

I WAS planning on having a big beefy triangulated cross-car brace right in front of the seats. I'm definetly have to rethink how I do that.

I'm thinking about ordering one of these:
91032311_L.jpg

and one of these :
91032714_L.jpg

from speedway.

Anybody have any experience with these parts? worth buying?

I like old steering wheels in general, but the quick release would be nice for getting in and out of the car and a 15 inch steering wheel would give a little more knee room......

I found another 4 spoke wheel that may go better with the car. The spokes are thinner and the wheel just looks nicer. ....but costs about $100 more.

sprintwheels.jpg

Personally I think you hot to have a big diameter wheel to pull off the old school look...

I'm leaning away from storebought again. I think I will modify something old. I have a couple of 30 ford and dodge truck columns and wheels.

Heck, I may try and make my own 4 spoke using an old wheel.

I do like the idea of a quick disconnect though. I will see if I can hide one.

The hot rod reunion is next weekend. Hopefully I can find a disconnect there ...or at least figure out what I need.

Last edited:
If you use the circular type disconnect, they really don't look bad. And I've been thinking for a while that it just "might" fit behind a custom wheel bell. If you know what I'm talking about?

If you use the circular type disconnect, they really don't look bad. And I've been thinking for a while that it just "might" fit behind a custom wheel bell. If you know what I'm talking about?

I have zero experience with steering wheels disconnects.

You got a link to a place thet sells what you are thinking about?

You can use one hand or two doesn't matter. The travel is about 1/2", it releases some bearings like a air hose quick connect.
The best ones are the ones with splines instead of the hex shaped adapter, they're easier to locate the wheel to center.
This is the one I like best from Jeg's.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60720/10002/-1

Attachments

• 555-60720_3.jpg
    555-60720_3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back