The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed a splined end to connect to the toyota u-joints, so I hacked into a 1991 Celica column.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

It was stuck together with plastic that acted like shear pins
IMG_1522.jpg

plastic removed
IMG_1523.jpg

Trying to figure out how much dodge shaft to trim. The double-D coupler needed to be completely inside the coulmn, above the lower bearing.
IMG_1524.jpg

a little snip here
IMG_1525.jpg

a little grinding turned the round shaft into a double-d. It is a snug fit in the coupler (it goes from round to D on the dodge end)
IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

That made a nice lookin steering column

I did something similar on my 48 chevy, except I didn't have to add splines. I just cut the outer tube a couple inches shorter than the shaft, added a bearing and ground flats on the shaft to accept a GM joint.

A $3.29 bearing is what makes it easy to do.

I picked up a 32 Chevy Coupe body last Sat. and if I can find a column like yours, I'll do the same thing. I think it'd look better than a tilt, don't you?

KEEP THE JAG MANIFOLDS OR BUILD HEADERS?

I really like the "factory" headers that are on the motor already, but they dump too close to the center of the car to look like 30's racecar stuff. .....and, If I built headers that came out farther before going down, I could hide the steering no matter where I ran it.

Here are some examples I found.

All into one up high
T51_2351132-1.jpg

All into one down low
talbotpipessingle.jpg

Two sets of three into one
talbotside.jpg

talbotengine.jpg

I like the higher mount system. over the rear axle. you will have to sweep the rear most header tube forward a bit to clear the foot box but if they all came forward the same amount and down it would look good. then run the pipe straight back about 2" under the top of your door opening. you would have to heat shield it at the door. just my $.02[P

nice work on the column...

I say build headers! ditch the manifolds

I am a little unhappy with the dash support hoop. It is screwing with potential dash layouts.
It is too flat in the middle. I should have peaked it in the center like the hoop in the middle of the car (behind the seats).
IMG_1505.jpg

Next trip to dad's, I'm going to cut the hoop off of the car, cut the hioop in half, and add a small section that has a bend in it in the middle.

Hopefully the hottest weather is behind me and I can start spending some quality time in the shop.

I didn't have time to do anything more than mock up a torque tube exhaust pipe in two different positions.

Above the frame rail/ angle down

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

And down low/ through the frame. I think I like this best.

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

The lower one would be easier to work the body around it [;)
Not sure which one I like best though [S
What about down low angled up in back :confused:

Jim

I like the low down through the frame, but maybe slightly angled up in the rear. Not a big sweep, just about a foot or so higher in the back than in the front.

Latest posts

Back