The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankenstein trans tunnel, It was starting to look sharp. Or did you alreay scrap it?

It has not officially been scrapped, but I was unhappy with the way it was turning out.

I was thinking of maybe bending up a tube frame like the seats and then filling in the voids with sheetmetal. It would kinda like the frankenstein tunnel but with a 3/4" radius at all corners.

For looks, I really like the exposed transmission. I just have concerns about the heat, fumes, and grease leaks (the trans was really nasty whe it was pulled from the donor car).

Last edited:
On the lower part of my front end of my 49 I used 3/8" rod to form the shape i wanted and welded the tin to that and sanded it down and it came out with a claen look. If you did something like that you still could get close to the trans (looks like your pushed for room any ways) and get a little tin around it. My only dislike about a open trans is like you said, heat and fumes.

Keep it close to the trans on the drivers side, but go generic on the passenger side. Passengers have the option to move their legs around more for comfort.

For the heck of it, I propped up a 36 ford truck grill to see what it looked like.

IMG_2744.jpg

Somebody posted a pic of a cute car in Auatralia that has a look similar to what I think the 36 truck grill would look like all cut down. What do you think?
attachment.php

I like it. Though I might be biased as I have a 35 ford PU I would like to build........[cl

I was also thinking of doing the grill insert similar to the way zzrodder did his Cadillac grill (1/8 round?). It has a lighter look to it than the wide sheetmetal grill bars in the 36 truck grill.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I picked up a used single chamber flowmaster muffler that I may use on Roofus. I was sticking it where my dad's hand is in the pic below. I would probably modify the "out" side to have two of the 2" pipes that go through the frame and then merge before they enter the cone shaped tailpipe. For the "In" side, I plan on merging the pipes before they get to the muffler.

IMG_2651.jpg

I've never put a muffler that close to the engine before, not sure what it will do to the sound/flow.

After my camera died, I snapped a few pics with my phone. I just now figured out how to get them to my PC hard drive....

This is where I put a cushion on my "seat" and mocked up the steering wheel again to see how much things had changed from the previous mock up. The real seat puts me farther back than the bomber seat did (a good thing)

Photo032.jpg

Photo033.jpg

Photo034.jpg

Photo035.jpg

Hopefully I will get some quality time to work on stuff after Christmas.

I spy, with my old blurry eye, what looks like a nice A coupe body sitting up in the rafters back there! Horders! Oh, and the R SPC is looking good. I like the grille idea. Thought of using some stainless mesh turned 45 begrees so it is a diamond pattern like some of the brit cars of the 30's?[P

Latest posts

Back