The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was too much air space between the sheetmetal and the bell housing...that space is needed for a gas pedal.

so I broke out the cop car kick panel sheet metal to build a beefy, close fitting tunnel

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

I realized I didn't want to run it all the way behind the seats as one piece, so I added a center bulkhead to give it something solid to tie into in the middle of the cockpit.

IMG_2702.jpg

I really didn't like that, so I cut it out

IMG_2703.jpg

It needed to be straight across, so that it could be the start of the front of the seat. I had to add verticals to weld to.

IMG_2704.jpg

I ran out of time, but I figured out/remembered that I needed to have a bulkhead that doubled as a seat front and that the spring boxes need to extend to that bulkhead.

I don't like the new tunnel either.... I think I like the trans out in the open better.

IMG_2658.jpg

It's getting there; I'm sure there's lots of tried and rejected ideas when you're building from scratch. Jaguar certainly didnt want their trannies coming loose from there engines; how many darn bellhousing bolts does that thing have??

Jaguar certainly didnt want their trannies coming loose from there engines; how many darn bellhousing bolts does that thing have??

17 or so bolts. Not only is it quantity, but also quality. The tolerances on a lot of the parts is near press fit. ...not a chevrolet, that's for sure!

I'm guessing all of the bolts are there to strengthen the bellhousing,as there is a "motor mount" at the top that doubles as a torque limiting strap. My guess is that the bellhousing sees a lot of stress, yet is a pretty thin walled casting.

Last edited:
I love LOVE the fact that you would build a tunnel long before making a trans mount even! That shows confidence in your engineering math aptitude!;)

I'd have a belly pan as the floor and have that chunk of machinery in the cockpit with me. Just have to cage the u-joint and driveshaft so your necktie doesn't get tangled in it.

I'd have a belly pan as the floor and have that chunk of machinery in the cockpit with me. Just have to cage the u-joint and driveshaft so your necktie doesn't get tangled in it.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving the trans exposed.

The tailshaft/driveshaft will disappear under the bulkhead that will be the front of the seat. The seat itself will be a bench seat of sorts (think two buckets and a center hump all fused together) and will be part of the structure of the car.

Air cooled VWs used some sort of rubber lip to seal the engine tin to the body sheetmetal. I think I will take a closer look at how they did that.

I love LOVE the fact that you would build a tunnel long before making a trans mount even! That shows confidence in your engineering math aptitude!;)

Oh crap! I forgot the transmission mount! :eek:

Actually it is part of the challenge of building this thing as a spaceframe/unibody car without plans....form and function have to be intertwined. I have to figure it out as I go. A pretty trans cover, that maximizes interior space and that is strong as hell is one of those things I'm working through right now.

Last edited:
I'm also considering a tube structure around the trans that would not be paneled in. It would add strength, but you could still see the trans and allow for more foot room.

I'm making another long weekend to go work on this thing. This one will be a 5 day weekend.

Hopefully, I can get something done that won't have to be undone.

The cool and unusual always takes longer than the routine and mundane. Looking forward to the results on Day 6 however.

Logging in of Dad's dial-up internet connection ....so no pics now, but I am making really good progress. I made a trans mount!

...and figured out how to finish the front half of the spring boxes (driverside mostly done, cutting pieces for the passenger side) and also figured out the frame for the seat bottoms (driverside is already welded in, passenger side id formed).

I must say, that I am REALLY proud of what I came up with. The drivers side seat feels great...even without seat foam. ....And looks like it belongs in a vintage racer.

Oh yeah, I think I figured out how to seal the exposed trans too!

OK, here's the picture post.

I started the weekend with a simple transmission mount

What Jag gave me to work with
IMG_2705.jpg

Donor steel
IMG_2706.jpg

One of the holes is chevy made
IMG_2707.jpg

Second part
IMG_2708.jpg

Welded and bolted in place on the trans with rubber pucks mocked up. There will be a body side mounting surface where the silver washer is.
IMG_2709.jpg

Last time I tried a square crossmember and hated it. I tried round this time and didn't really like it much either.

IMG_2711.jpg

A plain bench seat just doesn't feel right. It needed to be bucket-like.

Time to break out the Horrible Fright pipe bender
IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Better. ...but I didn't like the tube just going over and tieing in to the frame on the outside

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

I didn't really know what to do with it back in the corner, so I just bent it down..it will disappear under the seat cushion

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

I realized that I really couldn't finish the seat frame without doing the front half of the spring boxes. They had to be there before the seat gets welded in.

The U-shaped section is where the front of the leaf spring sits.

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

I doubled up on the spring holder
IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

I went ahead and gusseted the tube that this piece welds to at the front...because I have no idea what kind of loads this suspension places on the frame.

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

I melted the rubber pad under the spring...oops!
IMG_2732.jpg

Now I could put the seat frame in place.

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

Time to make a second one. ...that is a little skinnier (I offset the engine and the trans to the passenger side so that I have plenty of foot room).

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

For the heck of it, I propped up a 36 ford truck grill to see what it looked like.

IMG_2744.jpg

I did more, but don't have pics ...my camera bit the dust at the Turkey Drags on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back