Things that should never be put on a hot rod.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah my car is VERY ANTI-Traditional, being that it has IFS and semi trucks stacks coming off the motor, but my car is what it is and gets more looks than those guys goin off a "rule list" all i know is i dont go up to a person with there car and go "wow this car looks like 50 other ones i've seen, good job!" i go up to the cars where they are crazy and shows the owners great ability

Last edited:
This is not unlike the guys on some other sites saying cars should not have web grills, and skulls on them. But then again, who would even want that stuff on their car?

This is not unlike the guys on some other sites saying cars should not have web grills, and skulls on them. But then again, who would even want that stuff on their car?

WHY in the world would *anyone* put web grills or skulls on a car... *that* is just wrong!!! :eek:

Oh yeah... I have a hidden cig lighter on my car to charge my cell phone! Is that *so* wrong???

BoB

No Fat Chicks? WHAT? Did he say No Fat Chicks? OH NO this will never do, I Love my Fat Chicks. Guess I'll never own a hot rod. BUT I'll have some very cool cars with Fat Chicks In em!!!!!!!

I disagree on a few of those items.

First off: power steering. My '63 BelAir 4-door weighs roughly 3400 pounds, give or take. It has manual steering, and sometimes I wish I had power, because believe me...it is a real pain in the ass sometimes to try and parallel park that big ol' girl. My '53 Buick also has manual steering but it's slightly lighter than the BelAir, so it's not as bad to park.

2nd: Radios. Granted, I like listening to the sound of my engine rumbling through the glasspacks, but I also like my rockabilly music as well.

3rd: Cigarette lighter. I smoke, so that's a necessity for me. If the one in the car don't work, then I have my trusty Zippo in my pocket.

4th: Carpet. Sorry, but both of my rods have carpet. Not only does it look better, but it also helps protect the new floorpans that I worked so hard to weld in, and it deadens the sound so I can hear my rockabilly music better.

OK......I have never had a radio last more then 6 months in any of my rides over the past 40 years. every ride the radio would just fritz out and the only tune I listened to was the car singing to me.

And for the IFS.....dang, I spent many hours laying out the plans and experimenting with hacking my I-beam axles in half and actually developing a real OLD SKOOL IFS for my rides. Nothing like actually seeing an I-beam that bends up and down on both ends to give you that real floating ride.

Back up lights are nation wide requirment of any vehicel being driven on the open road ways. It is against the law NOT TO HAVE these items. So get over that one!

Rats are the innovation of cool being kept under the wraps. It is the whole general rule to build something that really looks like it should never exist, much less be drivable. And if you can hide the very essence of being safe and reliable to drive, that is the greatest achievment for all to do.

Not something deliberately mangled with out any type of safety or innovation.

The RATZ are to be admired for what they are in todays time, not from 50 years ago when none of these actual luxuries even existed. 50 years ago, they were trying to develop these luxuries we have today, that every one has taken for granted as well. Expected luxuries to boot as a common item in every car on the road.

I like the RACK & PINION design because it gives a driver a better road handling of their ride in speed and cornering. Mind you, it doesn't need to be powered, because power racks loose the true feeling of the road and driver balance for handling.
You tend to loose that "drive by the seat of your pants" feeling.

Air bags is a must if you plan on clearing those extra high bumps at the local Wally world, or even to clear the deep storm ditches on most commercial drives. Low is cool, but too low is just a waste of good skin out from under your ride. I prefere a well balanced ride with the proper ground clearences for those unexpected dips on long runs. :rolleyes:
Especially when my speedo is just hitting the peg at 220 mph.:cool:

Enough said about what doesn't belong on a safe and road worthy ride.

And by all means, those stupid friggen Donk/Dank rides have got to go!:eek:

Maximo

What to and what not to

I dont care what anyone puts in or on their car.I am way past the iam impressed stage.I got what i want for now.I have had over 150 rods in my life,who can beat that? I got a list of them.and alot of times I wished the period guys would,Well anyway once we were all simply hot rodders and I still am.:cool:

wow. I guess i opened up a can of worms on this one. :) When i posted this thread i was just pokin fun. A few of you got it though. I didnt realize it till now, but i guess i am a little bit of a traditionalist. I just feel that rat rods should be bare bones minimum, and raw, with no creature comforts what so ever. I never said if your rod is equiped with any of these than its not a real rod. Its your toy, build it the way you want it to be.

Once again, if i offended any i apoligize.

wow. I guess i opened up a can of worms on this one. :) When i posted this thread i was just pokin fun. A few of you got it though. I didnt realize it till now, but i guess i am a little bit of a traditionalist. I just feel that rat rods should be bare bones minimum, and raw, with no creature comforts what so ever. I never said if your rod is equiped with any of these than its not a real rod. Its your toy, build it the way you want it to be.

Rat Rodders have Thick skins, we have to. You should hear the stuff I have heard at car shows. But it is usually from the guy in the muscle car with matching numbers who lost the crowd that is now gathered around my truck.
And the crowd at a car show is really not sure what is a rat, and what is a traditional. But after reading about pizza, I am hungry.

No offense!

Rat Rodders have Thick skins, we have to. You should hear the stuff I have heard at car shows.

Hillbilly,
I seriously doubt u offended anyone here! Like the Bonehead said... that's *nothin'* compared to what we hear at most shows we go to. We were just a kiddin' u too!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Household dust, storage boxes, and snow. :D OK, mine has snow on it, but I don't like it. :mad:

Right now mine had a real thick coat of shop dusk on it, over spray, welding soot, grinding, and ash from the wood stove covering it. The underside has a layer of surface rust because of the snow that gets drug into the shop then melting and exaperating underneath it. AND people keep leaning crap against it, or putting stuff on the roof. I came into the shop after taking a week off (when i brought my son home) and there was an extension cord coiled up on the engine, used hydraulic hoses on the back dripping oil, and hydraulic cylinders leaning against my driver door.

^All of which should never be on a rod!

man when i started on this thread, i thought i had went to the wrong forum (you know the one -they don't like tractor grilles:D;))
anyway it's nice to see people discuss and not become jerks about different opinions!!

Latest posts

Back