Thoughts on a Buick meets 350HO

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellobox

I have access to a 47 Buick Sedanet and a small block 350High Output Engine. I know we plan to get both and replace the transmission for a manual transmission. My curiousity is, does anyone have any advice on putting this 350 into that buick? This is our first engine swap rebuild like this to make a custom rat rod. We could use any advice given.

Old engine

What type of engine was in the car originally? Was it a straight 6 or maybe a straight 8. I believe they both had side motor mounts. Might get lucky and incorperate Buick and Chevy mounts. Measure total lenght of engine and allow for fan clearance. See if will fit the space under hood. Most of those old cars have mucho space. You can do it and the members on this board will help. Don't be bashful ask questions.

I can understand having access to a particular engine and just wanting to use it to get a car on the road. The 350 will certainly have more than enough room in where a straight 8 once resided, and that is the problem.........they look lost down in there. I have seen some Buicks and Cadillacs where a sbc was installed, and they always look like a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine in there. :rolleyes:

The other issue is torque. A sbc will move the Buick, but something along the lines of a 455 Buick would have much more low end grunt to get that heavy car moving, and it wouldn't be any harder to install than the Chevy.

But in the final analysis if you decide to go with the Chevy it won't be horrible.

Don

Latest posts

Back