thoughts on a Hemi...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I might be getting a 1929 Desoto for my next project. The guy that has the car also has a Dodge 270 Hemi. He originally wanted $700 for the motor. This was before it was finished being rebuilt (already had the machine work done though). This guy is a VERY nice guy and always gives me awesome prices. I had planned on getting this motor for $700 and finishing the rebuild but he apparently got bored and built the motor (all it's lacking is an intake and some headers). I'm not rich but really want to do something different and cool on my next project and this would definitely be it.

I don't have more than the $700 I had planned on spending. The guy said he put another $900 into the motor but will probably still give me a good deal. Even if he sells it for $700 + $900= $1600 is it still worth it? I haven't seen the motor again yet but would only imagine he used the best parts available as money is not really an object with this guy (He's been in Haiti the past few weeks flying sick people in on his private jet).

I've been doing some research and am seeing these motors go for $5000 and $6000. Is this for real? Should I jump on this?

I know an intake and carb set up could cost anywhere from $500 - $1500, but this still sounds like a decent deal..... and I REALLY want to have a Hemi in my next project.

Any Hemi is real money these days,
the bigger ones being more desirable and expensive.

If it's use able, $1600 is a deal.

The guy said he put another $900 into the motor but will probably still give me a good deal. Even if he sells it for $700 + $900= $1600 is it still worth it? I haven't seen the motor again yet but would only imagine he used the best parts available as money is not really an object with this guy.

I've been doing some research and am seeing these motors go for $5000 and $6000. Is this for real? Should I jump on this?

I know an intake and carb set up could cost anywhere from $500 - $1500, but this still sounds like a decent deal..... and I REALLY want to have a Hemi in my next project.

Kelsey,
Hemi's, Olds, Nailheads & other unusual motors can be expensive to rebuild depending how & what's done & what parts are replaced. I would want to know what he's done & what parts he used. Here's a lil recap of my full Nailhead build & I'm sure Gastrick, Don & some of the others can chip in about their experience...

$400 - Engine & tranny
$2,200 - (aprox) complete Egge rebuild kit (including Isky cam)
$1,450 - rebuilt 3x2 97's & intake
$1,000 - Machine work including heads
$500 - rebuild tranny
$350 - new MSD billet dizzy
$350 - Headers
$150 - rebuild starter

Hemi's are kool motors but wider than most engines & just listen to Gastrick's run & u'll be sold!!! GO for it... just my .02!

BoB

If you're undecided then do what Tripper said and look at Gastricks post and listen to that sweeeeet sound! [cl...CR

Yeah, Gastrick's hemi thread makes me want it even more. I don't know if I would want to run the 6x2 or a 2x4 intake. I kinda like the shotgun scoop look.

I'll have to go back out there and talk to him and see what parts he used on it.

Kelsey,
Hemi's, Olds, Nailheads & other unusual motors can be expensive to rebuild depending how & what's done & what parts are replaced. I would want to know what he's done & what parts he used. Here's a lil recap of my full Nailhead build & I'm sure Gastrick, Don & some of the others can chip in about their experience...

$400 - Engine & tranny
$2,200 - (aprox) complete Egge rebuild kit (including Isky cam)
$1,450 - rebuilt 3x2 97's & intake
$1,000 - Machine work including heads
$500 - rebuild tranny
$350 - new MSD billet dizzy
$350 - Headers
$150 - rebuild starter

Hemi's are kool motors but wider than most engines & just listen to Gastrick's run & u'll be sold!!! GO for it... just my .02!

BoB

Thats the REAL world talking.. So appx $7K in a nailhead--cool old motor--but it ain't a Hemi !! It's nothing at all to put $10K in a fresh 392/354 Chysler. I've put about $3000 in a 354 before I realized that. The Desoto/Dodge doesn't carry the same impact or $ return as the Chrysler, but costs almost the same to build when it's all said and done. Theres a reason that guys 'giving it away'.

Ya gotta REALLY want one, and ya gotta have DEEP pockets.

The only 'cheep' way I've seen getting a Hemi in your rat is buy a $3-4K donor that has a good runner in it and swap the whole running gear over to your project and DON'T tear into it..

PA41

Last edited:
This is what I read..

"The Chrysler A engine is a small-block V8 automobile engine from Chrysler Corporation. It was produced from 1956 until 1967, when it was replaced by the wedge-head LA engine. The A engine's combustion chambers are polyspherical, and it is not related to Chrysler's Hemi engine of the same era...

The 1956 Plymouth 303 displaces 302.3 cu in (4.95 L) and uses the same Connecting rods as the 277; the bore is 3.8125 in (96.84 mm) and the stroke is 3.31 in (84.07 mm).

This engine was used in the following vehicles:

* 1956 Dodge Custom Royal (Canadian)
* 1956 Chrysler Windsor (Canadian)
* 1956 Plymouth Fury, 240 bhp (179.0 kW) with 4-barrel carburetor
* 1957 standard on all 118 in-wheelbase Dodges and Plymouths"

I thought it looked like a Hemi but know there are some that look like it but aren't actual Hemi's (I'm no Hemi expert though by any means). If this is a Hemi can you tell what type of Hemi it is?

KD, That's a hemi but it didn't come in that car. There is a polysphere engine but the valve covers are substantially different. No spark plug tubes.

KD, That's a hemi but it didn't come in that car. There is a polysphere engine but the valve covers are substantially different. No spark plug tubes.

Here's a picture of my Poly motor!

BoB

Attachments

• polymotor.jpg
    polymotor.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 14
hey kelsey, if that motor didn't come out orig. in that car, you might consider buying the car, pulling the motor/trans and reselling the car body--there would be no originality-type-loss if that's not the orig. motor

but i kinda think the whole car looks like a good project - i'm just sick that way!:D

KD,
What happened with the first motor you were considering?

ISore

It's still up for grabs... but the guy went ahead and rebuilt it. I was kind of wanting to do the rebuild myself to learn a thing or two but I might still try and get the Dodge 270.

I'm just looking around to see what's out there.

Latest posts

Back