Tilt front end...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastchevy49

Any body have any good ideas for tilting a front end on a '49 chevy car??
Really don't want to cut the fenders, but also want it to be a "one man job" when tilting it. Have seen the ones with the little rollers on the inner fender wells but thats just not what I want to do.
Would also like it to not only tilt, but to come off as well to do maintenance.
As it sits now the radiator is bolted to the core support so I guess that will be the first thing to change.
Thanks, Russel

I like the way it is double hinged on some european cars.The front comes up a few inches before the whole unit tilts forward. This allows the lower fenders to clear the body when they arc forward. Hate to see fenders cut thru the middle.

You can also make it slide forward, then tilt. That's not too hard. You can also use a combination of quick release pins and dzus fasteners to make it quickly and easily removable.

I have done a couple of tilt fronts, but have alway cut the fender. I used allignment pins in the rear to keep everything looking straight. It is easiest way do it. And is also lighter in weight. I used steering cylinders from a boat to tilt one of them with the flick of a switch. I think if I was going to tilt one without cutting the rear fender section, I would make it slide forward and then tilt. Probably like a big drawer slide that ends with a hindge pin. The radiator support has to stand alone, and may require rods back to the fire wall. It is going to be really heavy, but you can add some springs to help you lift it. It is harder to take the whole thing off if you add the springs.
Your front bumper is another thing to think about. To tilt it or get it out of the way. It is a fun project and makes working on the motor much easier.

One man operation is a tall order. Fiberglas would be too much of a problem if it's one piece. Just a bunch of dzus fasteners. However, steel, on the other hand is another ballgame.

I would build a frame to mount the fenders to. The tilt frame would attach to the frame horns with hydraulic rams (fast) or electric jack screws (slow). This way, the front end could slide forward before tilting. Once the front end is slid forward, rams could tilt the whole shebang forward. You could even hinge your hood to open separately, if attached to the frame work, for eaze of maintenance.

Latest posts

Back