Torsion Bars?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a member on another forum I am on, J Robinson, and he has a cool little Model A coupe with torsion bar suspension. It is so unnoticeable that you don't even know it is there until he points it out.

Not sure of what components he used, but he played around with sprint cars at one time, so I think they might be an offshoot of that technology. Here are the only two pictures I have of his setup.

Don

jr2.jpg

jr.jpg

Don is right. I've seen J Robinson's coupe too and if he doesn't point it out, you don't even realize that he has torsion bar front suspension on his car. J. Robinson says that he likes the adjustable ride height that the torsion bar suspension provides. He's over at the Club Hot Rod forum if you want to ask him about it. He's a really crafty guy.

They could be mounted parallel with the frame, like Chrysler did.

Or they could be mounted across the frame like most Sprint cars.

Either way, you would need one torsion bar per wheel.

I've been Thinking (always a bad sign) that this would be a stealthy thing to do and like you say not noticed which is a plus. Thanks Guys.

I hope you're not worrying about ride quality too much when you crank those down... Have you given thought to adjustable coilovers or even air ride suspension? Either Autozone or Advance Auto carries an adjustable coilover setup that a lot of guys run on s10s. Simple setup, eye/stud...

Lots of different size and rate torsion bars available,
for Midgets, Sprints, DIRT Modifieds, etc.

The length of the arm also influences the stiffness.

Latest posts

Back