"Traditional Hot Rod" section! What say ye?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we have a "Traditional" section!

• Why not!?!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Oh hells no!!!

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
My definition of traditional and someone else's may be different. I trust the MOD to keep it in check. Heck, I am here to see cool rods, learn others tricks, sharpen my skills, and hang out with my cyber friends. Just one thing.....please don't get like the PORK.....My $.02:cool:

As long as it doesn't get real hammy with what "traditional" really means...and saying that, what definition is going to be followed?

I think it would have to be a broad definition which I will spell out! Like I said... it will be a NO DRAMA zone!

Just one thing.....please don't get like the PORK.....My $.02 :cool:

Ummmm... that definitely ain't happenin'!!!

RRR Mod

Im going against the flow and voting NO...

I like having one section to check out builds.. If you start dividing it up into different sections you start to miss other builds just because you don't frequent those sections regularly.

The new HAMB layout I find awkward..

The KB layout is so divided with separation by years and by truck vs car.. too much...

The only thing I think could be cool, would be a section where all the completed builds could be filed so they dont just disappear into the abyss perhaps that could be categorized by years..

Thats my $.03 that right threw in an extra $.01 cent worth.. haha

Just sounds like a minefield to me. On Ol' Skool Rods they would argue about a car being "old school" or not. Easy enough to discontinue if it requires too much moderation.

Believe me... if it gets to be a PITA for me... it's history! [ddd

Rat Rod Mod

I like having one section to check out builds.. If you start dividing it up into different sections you start to miss other builds just because you don't frequent those sections regularly.

There will still only be one "Builds" section!

I'm hoping we are all adults here!!!

RRR Mod

It will all be good!....and if it's not...never mind, it will all be good. Just look at what a good bunch of people we've got here. Can't be anything but good! :) I can't believe I just said "good" that many times in just three sentences. :)

The new HAMB layout I find awkward..

The KB layout is so divided with separation by years and by truck vs car.. too much...

Agreed! Although I upgraded the forum software I choose to keep the old format because of the reasons you stated. I find the new versions very hard to navigate!

RRR Mod

I think of my rod as "built in the spirit of" a traditional rod more than keeping with all period correct parts. Basically making parts from junkyard cars fit and not running out to buy parts ready to bolt on. Yes it has disc brakes, radial tires and a 60s engine with a 5 speed. Modern concessions I guess. I really did plan on painting it but not one person I asked thinks I should.

You can show me 50 pics of cars and trucks and I couldnt label any of them traditional or rat or what ever I just like to look at the pictures and get more ideas for my own .. I would say if I see something interesting I'll look at it if not I'll buzz on by :D

I did see someplace a young man had what he called a traditional hot rod and every one called it a rat-rod and he got very , very upset about that ,,, he said this was not (junk) it was very well put together ,hot rod ... like I said I dont know the difference .. :)

Nothing wrong with trying to look traditional, and I think with the great group we have here there won't be much if any nit picking over whats "right" or not. I enjoy them all, rusty, shiney, old looking, new slick looking, musclecars, even old daily drivers built before 1975.

It's worth a shot.

Now just for fun I would like to see the other site have a rat rod section.:eek:

Haha, yeah, when pigs fly ! :D:D

While I understand why some people want to build a car the way they perceive cars being built "back in the day", what most people (especially those who were not there) think is that there was one set pattern to build a car by. There wasn't. We were constantly trying new things and everytime a new issue of Hot Rod came out we were anxious to try the latest new trick.

I build my cars "sort of" traditional. I like them to look somewhat old but I refuse to use generators, mechanical fans, fuel pumps, or flatheads. I like modern power and dependability so I will use newer stuff where possible.

Everyone thinks every old car had a flathead. We couldn't rip them out fast enough to install an Olds, Caddy, or (gulp) small block Chevy. Some people forget that we couldn't get our hands on the new Chevy motors when they started showing up in wrecking yards.

Don

While I understand why some people want to build a car the way they perceive cars being built "back in the day", what most people (especially those who were not there) think is that there was one set pattern to build a car by. There wasn't. We were constantly trying new things and everytime a new issue of Hot Rod came out we were anxious to try the latest new trick.

Exactly! My dad & his friends *never* had any of the expensive parts you see on so many of these "Trad" rods. They were poor workin' stiffs & found *all* of their parts in the junk yard! One of my dads best friends had a yard & I spent many an hour pulling parts my dad wanted off those old cars!

I refuse to use generators, mechanical fans, fuel pumps, or flatheads. I like modern power and dependability so I will use newer stuff where possible.

No generators for the old Tripper either & I put disc brakes on all my cars!!!

Everyone thinks every old car had a flathead. We couldn't rip them out fast enough to install an Olds, Caddy, or (gulp) small block Chevy. Some people forget that we couldn't get our hands on the new Chevy motors when they started showing up in wrecking yards.

None of my dads friends had flatties in their cars! Most of them preferred Olds & Caddys... the BIGGER the better. My dad & his junk yard buddy usually ran 500 Caddys... they sure would light up those old bias tires!!! [ddd

Dad put a 500 Caddy in his '57 Ranchero & they had to put sandbags in the back to get any sort of traction. As a teen... I loved seein' the Ranchero doin' a super-smoky burnout!

BoB

Believe me... if it gets to be a PITA for me... it's history! [ddd

Rat Rod Mod

There will still only be one "Builds" section!

I'm hoping we are all adults here!!!

RRR Mod

not to be a smart ass... ok maybe a little.. the first post in the new section is a build... ;)

Like Don said, we couldn't rip those flatheads out fast enough. That's why they are pretty hard to find now days. We scrapped them as OHV engines became available.

In my opinion, "Traditional" is a sliding scale. A person could build a hot rod in the tradition of the 1930's or the 1960's, or anywhere in between, or beyond for that matter.

I can envision someone in the future building a hot rod in the "Billet Tradition".

Latest posts

Back