Tranny and Rear pinion???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUSTY50F1

@$$Fault Junkie
I think I have my engine and tranny set. About to measure and cut my motor mounts. The pinion angle on the tail of the tranny is 2 degrees down. The angle on the rear is about 1/2 to 1 degrees up. Is that close enough or what do I need to do. I cant go up any more on the tranny without it hitting the floor in the cab. and the rear is tack welded in.:(

You should be okay with that RUSTY. If you are using rubber motor mounts, don't be surprised to see your angles change slightly when the engine/tranny is sitting on it's own weight in the chassis.

I'm not using rubber mounts. I'm Hard mounting the engine. I couldn't find any rubber mounts that would work on the mounts I bought. Will that matter.

I'm not using rubber mounts. I'm Hard mounting the engine. I couldn't find any rubber mounts that would work on the mounts I bought. Will that matter.

No, but you will feel all the engine vibrations. If that doesn't bother you then you are fine. I've ran solid mounts before. It doesn't bother me.

Okay, you guys may laugh, but I have used Hockey Pucks when I couldn't come up with anything else. They are really hard rubber and hold up fine.

Okay, okay, yep, they are 1 inch high and make a great body mount or 1 inch body lift. They seem to hold up in pretty good temerature ranges, and oil does'nt break em down. The guys in Ca, and Fla, probably don't use them but here in Co. and up north I bet they are used a little more.

In a perfect world, the angles would be parallel. However, in drag applications, you would want your pinion angle 2 degrees down which I ran in my Biscayne for years. You should have no problems.

I use to work for a rubber printing plate company. There were 2 hardness (durometer) of rubber they use to use. The blank stock was approximately 3/8" thick. I cut a piece to use for a trans mount with no problems.

Latest posts

Back