Trans pan gaskets?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
So far I've changed the gasket on my TH350 trans three times and they all leaked. The last time I changed the pan and the gasket. Normally I use a cork gasket with the red goop sealant. What do you guys use?

I don't follow instructions when do this. I put a VERY THIN layer of black gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket, then tighten the bolts. I know you are not supposed to use sealer on both sides of the gasket, but I do it anyway and it works for me. Never had one leak.

If it still leaking,Take the pan off,Flip it over and go over the entire bolt flange with a light hammer or rubber mallat.The flange is probably warped from being over torqued.Then use light silcone on pan and both sides of gasket.Let dry and then refill.You should be ok.

if the pan is the chrome kind, get rid of it. problems up the wazzzoooo.

get a felpro gasket, not the cork one they make but the blue rubberish one...and some of the black form-a-gasket stuff and put about an 1/4 inch tall bead between the gasket and trans

you could do both sides of the gasket just to make sure there are no leaks but there really isn't any need to.

tighten down bolts...let sit 24 hrs then retighten and go have fun!

Last edited:
The chrome pans work IF you wire wheel the chrome off the lip so that the sealant has something to stick to. Otherwise the sealant just squishes out when you tighten it.
I'm using a stock pan, but I think this time I'll use the rubber type of gasket instead of the cork. The cork never seems to fit right. I'm also thinking about using a contact cement between the pan and the gasket, to keep it in place when I tighten it. Thanks for the tips guys

i weld a drain plug into my pans i can drain the oil out easyer before i undo the pan and make less of a mess using the tilted pan method

Latest posts

Back