Transforming 2 piece hood to 1 piece

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNKMcNeilly

I have a 1948 Plymouth that has a split hood with the trim piece running down the middle. I would like to get rid of all the trim. Can anyone tell me the technique for connecting the 2 halves? Well, they are connected, but how do you do the body work on something like this?

Thanks,
Matt

I have been checking on this. You have several choices depending on your skill level (if you want to do it yourself). First off obviously is to take the center trim piece off - pretty easy.

First option is to cut out the seam completely (now you have 2 FREE hood halves) - then you weld in a piece of sheet metal that has the peak in it. This is pretty tricky stuff - I won't do it that way...

Other option is what a lot of the guys do and what I plan to do. Get you several pieces of round steel bar (size depends on how big a peak you want, but I think most guys use 1/4" or 3/8" maybe??? - not sure). Form that to the contour of the hood and tack weld it along the seam of the hood. Now you can get either bondo, lead, low temp solder or something like that and smooth the sides from the top of the round bar back into the hood. Then file / sand it down smooth and you're done.

If you want a flat hood, you can use the same method as #2 but without the round bar.....

There is some info on the HAMB site where they talk about size of round bar to use, etc.

Try this link - should take you there. There are some other sites you can go to from this link. Good luck

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329625&highlight=hood+peak

Latest posts

Back