Truck cab question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashTestDummy

Hey kids, stupid new guy question here: which vintage truck cab (say '26-'42?) would have the most leg room? I ask because after driving and sitting in several '32 Ford roadsters & coupes I think I'd prefer a bit more leg room if possible. In my brother's roadster, for example, you really have to slide forward in the seat, skooch down, and bend your knees pretty good to be comfortable. He's used to it, and I'm sure I could get accustomed to it also, but I'm wondering if some of the vintage truck cabs are roomier than others in this department? (I assume the Ts would be the worst, huh?)

Fred B.

Im a big guy an the older (late 20's-30's) were to cramped. I got a 54 IH and Ive enuff roof to swim in that. LOL RR

ratrodney is right.. the cabs didnt get much bigger till the late 40's into the 50's

Thanks guys! What about a '49 International? Anyone here have one of those? Just trying to figure out which truck cab I should look for when I start my search for a rat rod donor. I prefer the look of the '40s cabs in general over the stuff from the '50s, if possible.

Fred B.

You might look attruck cabs. I was eyeballing a post war Dimind T and that cab is way cool, and roomier than a pickup, plus it looks like an older style. Maybe one from a 50s KW or Pete, those make cool rods too.

believe it on not I have more leg room in my model T cab then I did in my 40 ford cab.

48-52 Ford cabs have a lot of leg room.

believe it on not I have more leg room in my model T cab then I did in my 40 ford cab.

48-52 Ford cabs have a lot of leg room.

I suppose a lot of this has to do with seat height, huh? And with a chopped roof line you would probably use relatively low seats (or seat mounts)? Sorry to be such a newb.

Fred B.

I had a 330lb guy who was 6'4" sit in my '38 Diamond T and he fit and I still have room behind the seat for the air horn tank and compressor!

Im 6ft and hit 340lbs on the scale and with a mock up seat in my 54 with an 8 inch chop I have a few inches overhead and can stretch my legs out fully. The 49 should be fine. My 54 is like 7-8 inches wider than most cabs to. RR

Im 6ft and hit 340lbs on the scale and with a mock up seat in my 54 with an 8 inch chop I have a few inches overhead and can stretch my legs out fully. The 49 should be fine. My 54 is like 7-8 inches wider than most cabs to. RR

Rodney, is that a 1-ton cab? Do you know if the various GVWRs on the '54 IH trucks all used the same cab? In other words, does a '54 IH 1/2-ton use the same cab as the '54 IG 1-1/2 ton?

Fred B.

I had a 330lb guy who was 6'4" sit in my '38 Diamond T and he fit and I still have room behind the seat for the air horn tank and compressor!

Well, I finally found the "yesterday" thread in the photo section that showed your T... I think I know what I want now ;) That thing is beautiful!!! Would a '38 Diamond T like that be hard to find and/or more expensive that a similar vintage Ford, Dodge or Chevy? Anything specific to Diamond Ts that I should know? That cab is just gorgeous. I'd want a small bed on mine, but that cab is perfect. Man, I really love that truck.

I've decided that I like the squared-off look of the engine cowl on the '30s cabs, but I like the idea of having leg room too. Nice to know that you can have both. Illraceya, what kind of frame is underneath your cab?

Fred B.

Latest posts

Back