Turkey Run Anyone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's never too early to start thinking about TR........we get excited for next year the day we get back from this years ! [cl We are going, been doing it for about 30 years now. Still have some loose ends to tie up (Dan's motor still needs to come back from the machine shop and get built, but we have 105 days left. This year we are trailering all three cars, I think, I won't go through another year of 6 hours on the interstate with 4.30 gears.

As for hotels, you really have to look around and go onto some of those discount hotel room websites, like Priceline.com and others. Over the years we have stayed at lots of different ones, all the way from staying out of town in DeLand, to staying right at the La Playa on AIA. We thought staying right near BelAire Plaza would be great as that is where a lot of the nighttime action centers around, but we hated it. If you left to go cruising there were no parking spots left when you got back.

Gastrick and his family stay at one hotel right across from the Speedway, and it is nice, we stayed there too one year (I forget the name, but he will know) It was pretty convenient and parking wasn't much of a problem. Rates are pretty much the same, but there are deals if you look around.

We are taking a motorhome and staying at a campground. We refuse to stay in any hotels any more because of so many hot rods and customs being stolen right from hotel parking lots. We took a motorhome last year and loved it and felt safe.

For anyone going for the first time, here are some tips:

1) To get into the Speedway with your car you have to get there EARLY. Last year my Sons sat in two hour lines getting in, and they did get there early.

2) The cruise spots at night are the East end of the track (they have an event there with lots of things to do and see) and, Bel Aire Plaza on AIA. AIA itself is stop and go cruising and it is fun to just sit on a bench and watch all the old cars go by

Bel Aire Plaza is cool but you never know what you are going to get any particular year. One year the owners of the Plaza wanted to limit or ban cars from coming in and parking (they pretty much take over the whole plaza) but that fell through when the merchants complained because rodders do bring in lots of business those nights. Another year they wanted to charge for parking, or something ridiculous like that. But it always seems to work out ok. One year we were rudely ushered out at the end of the night by cops who threated to arrest anyone who didn't leave immediately.

3) The cops are pretty cool and leave you alone, AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T A COMPLETE IDIOT. We drive all over with open headers, and goose our cars a little, but if you cross the good sense line you will be pulled over. Some years they have been tougher than other years, and it all depends on how much the regular residents complain about things. One year it really got out of hand, the cops were nowhere to be seen and people were doing water box burnouts right on AIA all night long. That still happens but not as much.

4) There are lots of places to eat breakfast and dinner. Hotels usually have a Continental breakfast offered free, and the prices at restaurants are just normal for anyplace. We have a few favorite places we always hit every year for dinner, like Hog Heaven on AIA, and some seafood place that I can't remember the name of.

5) The swap meet is HUGE and TERRIFIC. IT takes up half of the infield. If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist. Lots of new and used stuff from major vendors and just regular guys selling off their unwanted stuff. Food prices inside the event are pretty reasonable, IF YOU LOOK AROUND. We always hit the Johnsonville Brat trailer because of $ 3.00 brats, and some places sell hot dogs for a couple of bucks. You will also see lots of signs for $ 1-$ 2 bottled water and soda. I hate spending money on food when I could be buying goodies instead! :D

Don

Thanks Don. The family and I have been planning to go for several years always thinking the hot rod would be ready.

This year it will be so instead of spending our dough on Thanksgiving dinner we figured we would start a new tradition and head to Daytona.

So maybe camping might be the way to go. Would hate to wake up and have those years of hard work stolen.

I would strongly recommend the International RV Resort on Rt 92. They are right out of town near 95, super clean, well run, friendly, and CHEAP. We paid $ 25 a night for our spot that held our RV and two hot rods. This year we are renting a full pull through for $ 40 per night, that will hold 3 hot rods, and RV and two tow vehicles.

We sleep a lot better knowing our cars are right next to us, and there are a lot more hot rodders staying all around us too . The RV park has a guard at the gate and if he doesn't know you there is no admittance. There are too many cars disappearing these days and hotel security is an oxymoron.:mad:

Don

Not only is Don right on his points, he has offererd some really sound advice as usual.

Here's my .02. We live pretty far south in Florida and the Turkey Run (at a mere 260 miles away) is the closest "big" event we can attend. At this point, we not only go for the run and swap, we go because it's become a family tradition and things just wouldn't be the same on Thanksgiving if we were not there. Every year, me, my dad, and my brother load up and go. We have our traditional Thanksgiving family dinner on Wednesday instead of Thursday, then we make a bunch of cold Turkey sandwiches, throw them in the cooler, and head to Daytona early Thursday morning.

Like Don already mentioned, my crew stays at the Ramada Speedway Inn, right off of turn three (the tunnel turn) at the track. It's not the most modern hotel but advantages of the place, and features we like are that (A) It's an older style hotel with individual exterior doors so we aren't very far from our cars, and (B) We can literally walk back and fourth to the track from our hotel during the day.

With all the cars being stolen around the country this year, I have to think the thieves are traveling around to the big events and taking their pick of cars to steal. That's become a concern for us this year and we'll probably watch them all night.

All in all, Daytona is an awesome event if you like cars in general. There will be some stuff there you probably won't like, and stuff there you will like a lot. Heck, just seeing that track from the ground level is an experience in itself. I've been going for decades and I still get amazed at how steep the banks are and how tight the entrances to the corners are considering they are entered at 200 mph.

In any event, I sure hope you look us up if you decide to go. It's always nice to meet people from the board and to see the old friends we have made like Don and his family.

I'm not but about 3 1/2 hours away from Daytona, but I will have to make it next year. My car won't be ready for this years.

Why don't you come and just hang out blacksheep? Last year, my car broke on the way to Daytona but after getting the car back home, I drove my daily driver up and still had a good time.

Why don't you come and just hang out blacksheep? Last year, my car broke on the way to Daytona but after getting the car back home, I drove my daily driver up and still had a good time.

Yeah Blacksheep, I'll be there sans-rod. Going for the swap meet and possiblly meet a few of the members here like Gastrick and Don as well as others. Head on down...I'll buy you a beer!

-Troy

Me and the wife are wanting to go but have never been. Where is a good place to stay that wont break the bank? Only about a 10-11 hour drive for us.:D
Tim

I'm not sure Timbo. We've stayed at the same place for decades so I've never shopped around. m I know if you stay an exit way, it starts to get cheaper.

If you go to some of the Priceline.com kind of sites you can score some deals.

We have decided to leave our cars home this year for a lot of reasons. Dan's motor is still apart, we are afraid to leave our cars unattended, and we want to hit the swapmeet and just relax for a change. For years we went as specatators only and had a great time, so we know we will have fun anyway. Looking forward to seein old friends like Bill and his family, Troy, and everyone else we have become friends with on the forums.

Don

Okay, we are about ready to roll here. I know we'll see Don and his sons, but if you other fellas see the below pictured cars, make sure to introduce. We'll be parked together near the east end of the infield close to the farm implement displays. Me, my Dad, my brother, and my son are making the trek in these. If my Dad isn't feeling well enough to drive himself, we'll leave my Mercury home and my son will drive him. I'll have a camera and will post some photos after the run.

I'll be driving my fake plastic generic kit car as usual

My son is scheduled to drive my Mercury. It may have spotlights and/or Cadi sombrero caps by the time we leave.

My Dad is taking his Mercury

And my brother is driving his Corvette

We REALLY need this vacation and can't wait to see everyone there. Bill, you guys have your own rolling car show, all in one family ! [cl We are getting in sometime Wednesday, hopefully in the early afternoon. Have a safe trip everyone.

Also Bill, I hope your Dad feels well enough to drive himself, I am looking forward to seeing him, it has been a while now since we have.

Don

been there one time 7 years ago - drove 18 hr's to get there - every year when it gets close to thanksgiving we all start talking about it was the best time and swap meet i have ever been to - if its out there it will be there - can't wait to go back maybe next year - dont forget to try the roasted pecans ------- the motel we stayed at was the pits full of roach's it's not there anymore -

Latest posts

Back