twins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twin13kustoms

Banned
this is what i want but with my own screw

Attachments

• IMG_7981.jpg
    IMG_7981.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 3racing.jpg
    3racing.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 54
  • bimotore2.jpg
    bimotore2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 86
  • four%20and%20twin%20sale%20Small.jpg
    four%20and%20twin%20sale%20Small.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 66
m.jpg

The Howard Cams Special at Minn. Dragways in about 1961. Two small chevys with chain drive blowers. I love twins too.

Twins are awesome. I always wanted to take a chevy dually pickup, widen the cab and front wheels to the width of the dually rear wheels & fenders, chop it, then stuff 2 blown SBC's under the hood.. a big fat low,wide , chopped stepside.:D

hell yeah

thanks bonehead for redirecting me, that dually sounds like a cool idea,now i still need to know what i need to connect the the 2 at the beelhousing to 1 tranny???? any ideas????????????:confused::cool:

13twins

i will be putting up pics, as of yet i just have the cab,will be building the frame within the next few weeks, i need to get my engines first,i talked to a man today i m ight have to run 350s, 6-71 blowers, maybe ill get lucky and find some old merlins for cheap i doubt it but i am hopefull,maybe some old tank engines,or maybe some 18 wheeler engines with twin turbos on both.i can only do so much as i am not rich..:cool:

ive got a machinist working on it,it will cost $9,000 just for the connection, ive been on the rig for a week and just got his email,hes willing to help cut some of the cost by not using billet aluminum for the case,any body know of any cheaper way of doing this,id really like to finish my daily the right way?:cool:

Hopefully this link will guide you to the Youtube of my twin. It's a slow build that will hopefully be running over the winter. If the link don't work just search Dual Engine Dodge Brothers and it will get you there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fHyQn5KyI

I'm interested in any info on how to run two engines in-line.

have seen any oilfield mud tank agitator motors? they have a coupling that joins the shaft from the front engine to the crank shaft of the rear engine, of course thats the only way i can explain it as i am not a meckanic,i just build everything else, ive had a very hard time tring to find info on side-side, but i ma just run 2 trannys and 2 rears with a shaft running between the 2 to join the insides of the reare ends, hey thats a cool truck man good luck and hope to you on the road when its ready to drive,:cool:

I have seen them done lots of different ways. Side by side into a "transfer case" looking box with a single shaft out the rear. Chain drive with a space between the tranny and the block on one engine. Or two pumpkins on the rear axle. There has got to be a cheaper way that will work as well.

Unkl Ian is correct, go talk to the tractor pull guys. In my initial research and digging around I found a few sources that build twins (or triples, quads, quints) for the tractor pull crowd. If you want them side-by-side it gets expensive quick as it requires custom made transfer boxes/cases that's why I chose in-line. I would thing someone in the tractor pull arena would have a used set up for sale that might work and help a ton with the cost. There are a lot of people with twins in the pulling and racing world, but I don't see a lot of info out there one people running them on the street. There are a lot of questions I have about the little things - how to start them, ignition system setups, cooling, balancing, synchronization, ect.

I've attached a couple pics of my in-line coupler. I built it on my lathe and used a dodge-style chain coupler.

Anyone know of someone that custom builds distributor caps? I want to run one distributor that fires two plugs at a time - i.e. to terminals for each firing position.

Attachments

• DSC01031.jpg
    DSC01031.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01023.jpg
    DSC01023.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 19
images.jpg

Instead of running a blower could a person connect 2 side by side engines with a timing belt and an idler? Experts say a top fuel engine requires 300hp to turn the blower. The belt drive can probably handle a lot more than that.

Looks like they coupled them together with a double row chain. A primary chain from a HD would be strong enough.I don't think i't would be all that hard to fab that setup. I've thought about using twin 2300 Fords. I've got tons of aftermarket performance partsfor the 2300,Even got a couple 2750cc strokers!!!

Latest posts

Back