Update on the pipes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well crap, spent half a day making baffles, must have drilled 200 holes, and didn't quiet it down hardly at all. Do you guys ever just get sick of looking at a car? If I had a dog, I'd kick him right now.

I hade put 3" echo tips on my bike with 2" pipes...needless to say it would wake the dead! I ended up getting 12" glass packs and cutting the echo tip down 12" and welded the echo tip on the end(looks like just an echo tip!) and it really helped to put it to a tolerable level and still have the deep rumble......just an idea:)

What did yours look like?

I took a 12" section of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe and drilled it full of 3/8" holes. I welded a fender washer inside the center and a big washer with almost 3" diameter on the ends. So the gasses have to go up the inside, out through the first half the holes and back through the second half of the holes to get out. I thought the 1 1/2 centers in the big washers might be too restrictive so I cut V notches in them. around the outside edge.

I cut apart an old glass pack and got a baffle that looks very similar to many of those. I cut it in half as I only have room for 10-11". Then I took some perforated heat shields from a stock Ford exhaust and wrapped them around the outside. I plugged the end hole inside so all the gasses are forced through the baffle. It helped a lot. I think I can live with it for a while.

Latest posts

Back