VIN tags

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of car? Are you looking for something generic or make specific? This can be a sketchy area to get into, depending on what your intended purpose is.

OH Boy.....

In michigan you do not want to put a vin tag on anything that hasn't been supplied by the state....you can put the old vin tag back on after you restore it but you better have it secured with the proper rivets or factory correct retainers...at least in this state....if it looks screwy, they can and will impound it....

Over the last 5 years the state and county vehicle theft teams have been requesting that officers on traffic stops, check vin numbers against the registrations and to check to see if the vin tag looks altered or strange in any way...they also give classes on this....most of our officers do check them...we have recovered a number of re-tagged vehices/Stolen over the years....
I'm sure you are on the up and up but how bad would it be for that to be in question if you got stopped....:eek:
I would definately make contact with our local SOS (secretary of state) DMV or whatever you call it there....make sure you do it correctly....JMHO

I'm going through a VIN issue with my 67 right now. It's all a bunch of bunk. Unless they can prove or get someone to admit guilt, they only thing they can do is issue you a state issued VIN. I got screwed big time and am very bitter about it :mad: The guy I bought it from claims he knew nothing about it and that guy doesn't know a thing either. So, in a nut shell I'm stuck with a car without a VIN and will have to get Florida to issue me one. The value of my car is now in the toilet. I hear all of this stuff about the laws and they really have no teeth at all. At least that's what I'm experiencing. Just my 2 cents.

Now, let the debates begin [P

Unscrupulous people don't have rules or laws....

I'm going through a VIN issue with my 67 right now. It's all a bunch of bunk. Unless they can prove or get someone to admit guilt, they only thing they can do is issue you a state issued VIN. I got screwed big time and am very bitter about it :mad: The guy I bought it from claims he knew nothing about it and that guy doesn't know a thing either. So, in a nut shell I'm stuck with a car without a VIN and will have to get Florida to issue me one. The value of my car is now in the toilet. I hear all of this stuff about the laws and they really have no teeth at all. At least that's what I'm experiencing. Just my 2 cents.

Now, let the debates begin [P

They take advantage of people.....laws don't normally protect the people they are supposed to unfortunately....the law abiding people follow it but the criminals don't....and isn't it funny that "they didn't have a clue there was a problem"...yeah right..they knew and they pawned it off on someone...and made money.... there are hidden vin's on that car that any state vehicle inspector can find to identify the car....cost is usually about 75 to 100 bucks to have it inspected....but at least you'll know what you have...hopefully nothing anything stolen....:(

Latest posts

Back