Vintage racer build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the steering done, pedals & m.c.'s in. A little more progress on the tubing. Still more cross bracing to do but I'm out of steel and my grinder gave up tonight. :mad:

I was originally going to put a door in on the drivers side, but it's pretty easy to get in and out of so decided against it. Maybe a grab handle or two in the cockpit would help

BTW - old sheets that you may or may not be using to cover your engine can catch fire if you are welding near them. Just sayin.

Attachments

• CIMG3509.jpg
    CIMG3509.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 54
  • CIMG3510.jpg
    CIMG3510.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 62
  • CIMG3511.jpg
    CIMG3511.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG3512.jpg
    CIMG3512.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3513.jpg
    CIMG3513.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG3508.jpg
    CIMG3508.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 58
its really shaping up.. its going to be alot of fun when u get her on the road

Thanks! No, I have a crappy HF pipe bender I used. Filled the tubing with sand and it worked OK. Still slightly kinked the tubing on the sharp bends. I need to get a much better tubing bender for the next one :cool:

One thing that really helps on those benders is to spray everything real good with some type of lubricant (wd40). At least it seems to help for me!! Give it a try.

Got my clutch slave cylinder in and hooked up. Works great! That was alot easier than rigging up a mechanical linkage would have been.

Attachments

• CIMG3519.jpg
    CIMG3519.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG3520.jpg
    CIMG3520.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 37
Took me awhile to come up with a throttle linkage that worked well and looked decent. Ended up modifying a Model A linkage I had laying around and combining it with a go-kart tie rod kit.

Now - on to finish those brakes....[;)

Attachments

• CIMG3521.jpg
    CIMG3521.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG3523.jpg
    CIMG3523.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG3522.jpg
    CIMG3522.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 40
Got the brakes all plumbed and bled, gas tank installed, driveshaft in and some temporary wiring so I can start it.

Going to have a flip down seatback to access the gas tank. I didn't want to fool with a remote filler to the outside of the body and it will look cleaner this way. Fuel gauge? That would be a flashlight...or a stick.

I love an electric fan for this situation - obvious alignment issue would make a mechanical pretty much impossible.

Going to throw down some plywood and take her for a spin this weekend - CAN'T WAIT! :D:D

Attachments

• CIMG3524.jpg
    CIMG3524.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG3525.jpg
    CIMG3525.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG3526.jpg
    CIMG3526.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG3527.jpg
    CIMG3527.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 38
Nothing like a drive to keep the motivation high. Wish I could ride shotgun. Nice work you are doing.

Hey,
Where's the '29? I haven't looked at this site lately. Still working on my '29!!!!!! Have issues with wobble. Let me hear from you.
Rasberry

I sold that over a year ago to make room for another project(s). Sad to see it go but I was bored and needed a new build project.[;)

I keep in touch with the guy though and he is having a good time driving it all over the place (he's retired). He put some cokers and flames on it. Glad its not just sitting in someones yard.

Attachments

• Model A flames 1.JPG
    Model A flames 1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Model A flames 2.JPG
    Model A flames 2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
Thankz for the ride BI. That's a remarkable mochine ya gotz there,,, my hats off to ya.. Awaiting more pics if u pleeze........now I can take off my goggles and scarf........[cl

Thanks for the ride BI. I had the volume turned all the way up and Cupcake was in the shower and thought the hot water heater had blown a pipe, and ran through the LR to check it. So I got a ride AND a show!!

Life is good!!

PA41

Hey that thing even sounds vintage! Good ole inline 6 puts the right sounds to it. Nice work![P

Cool video! Love that sound.

Thanks for the ride BI. I had the volume turned all the way up and Cupcake was in the shower and thought the hot water heater had blown a pipe, and ran through the LR to check it. So I got a ride AND a show!!

Life is good!!

PA41

You know the deal - it didn't happen if you don't have pictures to share. ;)

Thanks guys. It's funny, I spent alot of time researching different mufflers online, trying to find one that would give it the right sound. Turns out the correct answer is no muffler. The stock manifold is restrictive enough that it kills alot of the noise.

Easy enough and I like the price. :)

Latest posts

Back