Vintage racer build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using these rivets and the shave tool listed. The Tech Specs explains a little more how these work. Super cool! I'm having fun with these

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Olympic_Rivets_p/vts-179.htm

I NEED one of those rivit shavers!!! [dr (I kinda got a tool 'problem' )

That sounds like fun . Ya know you can get double ended drill bits in bulk for that kinda work. Like a pk of 10. You do a lot of riviting ya use bits pretty fast.

Also HF sells a pretty good air powered rivit poping tool--saves the sore hand pop riviting syndrome. (and ya get to buy more tools)

Good stuff BI.

PA41

Ya know you can get double ended drill bits in bulk for that kinda work. Like a pk of 10. You do a lot of riviting ya use bits pretty fast.

Also HF sells a pretty good air powered rivit poping tool--saves the sore hand pop riviting syndrome. (and ya get to buy more tools)

PA41

Hmm did not know that - I need to look into those bits. I've only gone through 2 of the Bosch "titanium" bits though, and I broke one of them.

I got this long-handled riveter (Model VHR-2) and it takes almost zero force to pop them in. You could definitely rivet all day no problem with one of these.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet45.htm

Motorhead - no not going to paint the body.

Just looked at the body pics. Wow! That is sexy! I might have doubled the rivet count just for asthetics only. But that is just me. I would leave just the tach in the dash as well. You could do a small 2 gauge mount at the rear of the valve cover for the oil and water temps. Kinda like the 6-71 blower gauge mounts but make it look older. I like it![cl

I might have doubled the rivet count just for asthetics only. [cl

Hey if you want to come over and drill 150 more holes for me, I'll be buying the beer and a fat steak for you!

Kidding, I thought about doing the same. It looks a bit better in person though - the rivets look small in the pics for some reason.

Got most of the firewall done and the body back on. Looks pretty decent I think. Now on to the hood and floor!

Attachments

• CIMG3569.jpg
    CIMG3569.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3570.jpg
    CIMG3570.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 65
  • CIMG3572.jpg
    CIMG3572.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG3574.jpg
    CIMG3574.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 67
  • CIMG3566.jpg
    CIMG3566.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Terrific job you are doing. The rivets are a big plus to the overall appearance.

Thanks - much appreciated!

Got my floor and seatback in. It hinges forward to access the gas tank. 1/2" solid birch plywood, very stiff. I'll eventually skin the floor & seat in more aluminum and figure out a seat pad.

Also got the bottom part of the firewall done and a slightly improved temporary exhaust pipe on.

Attachments

• CIMG3589.jpg
    CIMG3589.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG3590.jpg
    CIMG3590.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG3592.jpg
    CIMG3592.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
  • CIMG3591.jpg
    CIMG3591.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47
Finally got around to mounting the headlights. I cut up the sway bar that came on the Exploder axle to make the light bar. I'm going to put some vintage-looking fog lights in the middle of the bar.

Also got the tail light mounted, the car wired up and my new antique plates. Ready for a spin...if it wasn't raining.

Attachments

• CIMG3594.jpg
    CIMG3594.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG3596.jpg
    CIMG3596.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG3595.jpg
    CIMG3595.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 48
Irish I have to admit when I first saw this I didn't think I would like it. MAN was I wrong You have really got something special there, and I love how you did the tail light. I wasn't liking any of the ideas that were being posted, you nailed that too. Good luck with it, and I hope it runs even better than it looks (if tahts possible).[cl

Nice job on the light bar. Looks good! Does your plate say 1 in 8 thousand? I would say 1 of a kind![cl

Antique plate, 'eh?
How much of that is new construction? What is it registered as and how did you accomplish it?
I'm hoping to be able to build some vehicles and register them as old ones eventually. I need to quit moving and set up my garage first though.
-Chaz

Antique plate, 'eh?
How much of that is new construction? What is it registered as and how did you accomplish it?
I'm hoping to be able to build some vehicles and register them as old ones eventually. I need to quit moving and set up my garage first though.
-Chaz

Good question--I realize all states are different, but It'd be informative to see what is needed elsewhere. Here In Arkansas, the lady that 'creates' titles for me needs a VIN mumber or a block number and some identifiable body part. In the past she has contacted a T junk guy and bought a model T engine block # that I stamped on the frame, and I used a T sedan on a fabbed chasis/drivetrain, and it qualified for antique Title, tags and insurance as a Model T. It might be working a little in the gray areas, but It works.

If I were to build a speedester something like BIs, I believe I'd need at least an identifiable T cowl and, along with a T engine #, I could call it a Model T.

It differs everywhere, but there is usually a way. I've seen 3 or 4 different methods creating a title locally.

Thats just lookin great BI.. Those sway bars make good material for front and rear push bars/nerf bumpers and side 'wheel protector' bars like old dirt trackers used.. Nice bends and strong..
More creative use of 'junk'.

Sweet.. Getting better all the time. Lovin it.

PA41

Got the hood done today! Man I have been waiting a long time to see what it would look like all together. I'm real happy with it. I was able to take it out and wash it, finally put the center caps on too.

As for the title - lets just say that its titled as a Model A ford and is fully insured and leave it at that. :cool:

Attachments

• CIMG3597.jpg
    CIMG3597.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 65
  • CIMG3598.jpg
    CIMG3598.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 60
  • CIMG3599.jpg
    CIMG3599.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG3603.jpg
    CIMG3603.jpg