ViVA las rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fairly new to the hotrod/traditional/ratrod scene I've always loved cars mostly older cars i could never afford to built or buy one. I've only been to one car show where we entered the truck we built and from what i seen at that show i will stick to the cruising nights at the local sonic drive in.

I don't have a clue what to call the truck we built this year and the one I'm working on now other than it's our hot rod we built it the way we wanted too its safe we can drive it and not worry about something falling off and hurting someone.

I don't know why everyone isn't welcome myself when it boils down too it its about the green backs $$$$

I really hope this thread doesn't turn ugly like the thread on the other site did. Bonehead, one thing I like about this site being named Rat Rods Rule is that some snobs feel that they are just too cool to ever think of visiting or registering here. I think it keeps away some of the people that would just serve to cause trouble and degrade other folks.

I've noticed at KB that some members clearly dislike rat rods and prounounce so in their posts and sig lines. It makes me wonder why they even bother to post there. It seems that the "cool" thing to do these days is call your car "traditional" no matter what it looks like and how it's styled. Like Don stated earlier in his post, some of the cars being passed off and touted as traditional are obviously rats. It all depends on who you are as to how your car will be accepted in some circles. I'll even venture a guess that there will be cars at VLV that fall under their category of "not allowed in" just because the car belongs to a club member or other popular person or friend of a friend. I don't have a real problem with them making rules for their own show. I think it's their right to do so, especially if the reason is to maintain order at the show. Along with the popularity of the rat rod, there seems to be an element of people that treat the cars more as a "fashion accessory" than a hot rod. To them it's all about the "scene", and the look, the clothes, and the tattoos. To this group of people, it's just the latest lifestyle trend. I think that in part, this is what has brought a lot of heat on to the term rat rod and the rat rods themselves. I think the other problem that rodders have with the rat rods is the "I'm rattier than you" cars that are built strictly for shock value and can barely roll off of a trailer under their own power. I do find it ironic in a sence that the traditionalists and even the rat rodders to some degree have seemed to become what they despised.

In my opinion, both of the above mentioned element types will eventually move on with the next big trend and the rat rods will continue to stay the course. I say this because of the cost of building a highly finished car is just becoming increasingly more expensive and out of reach for the average rodder. That being said, I believe that there will always be rat rods. They may just not be as popular in the mainstream as they are today which is fine by me.

As far as categorizing some of the cars between traditional and rat, I think that the lines have blurred. I know some owners of ratty cars become indignant at the mere thought of their car being referred to as a rat when in reality, that's what it is. Me I don't really care what my car is called. It's not traditional but I like the look of a traditional car so I try to keep it styled along those lines while adding home made parts and touches to keep it interesting. Is it a rat? I don't know. Lots of people at the cruise night call it one. Am I offended? Not at all. The hard core traditional guys would call it a street rod. Note that for the sake of arguement, I'm referring to my coupe here and not my other cars. The reality is, like so many other cars on RRR, it really doesn't fit into a finely defined category. I like that about the cars here. They are just built and styled how the owners want them to be built and styled and that's the way it should be.

I've gotten off on a tangent but I'll conclude by saying that I think the future of rat rodding is safe, albeit maybe not with the popularity in some groups as it has at this point. I think the true hot rodder that is in it for the love of the machine will keep the movement alive well into the future.

Last edited:
One more thing I will add is

Its so nice to discuss something with out all the ******* comments or bashing people. Its very refreshing.

I noitced that one of the pictures of vehicles that will be considered un acceptable is an open cutom. where some guy took the time to think out side the box and create a completly different vehicle from the lines of another.

The shifters are COPYING a past trend, whats really funny is they are copying a trend, that at the time was out side the box...LOL

I guess some day some one will be copying us, and trying to seperate themselves from another new trend in hot rodding.

I could break open my check book, log onto Ebay and pay an unreal price for a bunch of period correct flat head parts and spoke wheels, and go to the VLV show and hang out with a bunch of guys who built cars that look just like me. then we could all sit around and drink Pabst (ugh) and laugh at all the "squares" that went on Ebay and bought billet aluminum wheel.

When I am done with my truck, there will not be another one like it, and I will drive it with pride...disc brakes and all, and when I see a guy who is driving a period correct vehicle, i will offer him a beer (if he will take it) and shoot the breeze with him about his build (if he wants to).

Pablo

I'm fairly new to the hotrod/traditional/ratrod scene I've always loved cars mostly older cars i could never afford to built or buy one.
I don't have a clue what to call the truck we built this year and the one I'm working on now other than it's our hot rod we built it the way we wanted too its safe we can drive it and not worry about something falling off and hurting someone.

See, this is a prime example of what I like about RRR. People like Tiny1, Bonehead, and countless others just build what they want because they like old cars and trucks.

Man,
That is some deep thought in some of those posts above. As much as I would like to go to a show such as VLV, I think I would rather go to a show closer to home and meet people from here. That way, I know that there will be a reasonable conversation to follow after introductions are made and handshakes are given.

Controversial topic, this may be, But I will take this oppertunity to second what Ratrodshrum said. Hats off to you for noticing the difference here on RRR.

I have said it before, and will say it again, "Build what you like and share the pictures with us here"...

Thanks for being here

This is a refreshing and eye-opening discussion. I sure fit the non-category of "build what I want, not what every one else thinks is cool." I knew that my current build would not fit into any car show, would be classed where it could not be competitive in an autocross, and would annoy most people in the local car club, but I don't care. The fact that we on RRR can discuss these issues in a friendly atmosphere and understand that car clubs can put on shows and not invite us tells me that we are, in fact, true gearheads/ car lovers/ hot rodders who get it.

I seriously doubt Henry Ford was worried about the huge equestrian business nor what the stable owners/feed store owners/ etc were going to think about his Horseless Carriage when he started building it! Much less what his neighbors might think of it, nor that he would not be invited to a local equestrian show with it.

Kinda brings it all into perspective, doesn't it?

440shorty

I personaly am tired of the "traditional" name! to me it is a blank statment used by guys that cant define a particular style they want , so they copy an old picture, to me everything from the past is traditional in a sence, right now i have a "traditional" 80`s custom in the garage, am i allowed? it`s traditional! so come up with a better term, like hot rod

I can see where the club is coming from but it could've satisfied everyone by implementing a safety inspection.

I think that the rrr guys and the (level headed) kb guys should plan a show. Maybe on on the east coast one year and one on the left the next. Plus make it open to any one who enjoys ALL cars, many of my friends drive riceburners BUT they were raised on bolt-in-catalog-chick-ching ideals that have them believing all old cars have to be perfect and swoon over the stuff I drive. My Barracuda is just the opposite (think F-Bomb issue of Hotrod).

It also could've been, that the host hotel needed assurances that the past problems were done. If you can't get a place to hold a show, it doesn't much matter what you let in. However, they should have just gone to an invitation only format.

viva las rat rod

Where did the term Rat Rod come from? seems to me I was building "rat rods" for years and just didnt know it. I never have had a nice shiney new paint job on any of my cars we were always trying to go faster. Back then the closest I came to a car show was the pits at the track. In the last few years my buddies and I have gotten into the whole rat rod,traditional rod,whatever you want to call it. All of those old speed parts and old race cars we overlooked started to mean something to us. We all had dads that were racers or hot rodders in thier day and these old things started to have a different meaning. We dont go racing like we used to do as much anymore but we do have a good time with our cars. some are finished some are not but they will all go down the highway with no problems. The car shows are just a stopping point the real joy is driving to them. I may never get out to viva but i will still enjoy the coverage of it in the mags. If they want to limit what can and cannot come in thats up to them. Things like this seem to happen at all the big shows sooner or later. I dont mind parking out in the lot and looking at all the pampered&trailered hot rods. I'll still keep driving my car and enjoying the time behind the wheel.

Sheep%20Rodder.jpg

http://www.decorides.com/sheep_rodder.htm

So the latest Fad is to bash Rat Rods,Red Wheels,Faux Patina,
and anything that was fashionable last season.

Next year it will be company names on doors,and home made "Bomber seats".
Or faded primer,and bad striping,or ....

Reminds me of the Dr Zeus book,about the Star Bellied Sneeches.
"We are the finest Sneeches on the beaches,
because we have the big Blue Stars on our bellies".
Which was fine,for the Snobs,
until all the other Sneeches bought themselves Blue Stars.

The parallels with popular culture are amazing.

Human behavior is best viewed from a distance.

Unkl Ian, you gave me a signature tonight, Thank you.

By the way, it's what I always thought my project to be, but couldn't come up with the right words........

My favorite English philosopher is David Pye,in his book "The nature and art of workmanship",
he contends there is no such thing as "good' workmanship.There is only workmanship that is,
or is not appropriate for the application.

What is considered "good" workmanship for fine furniture,
is not appropriate for chopping fire wood.

The appropriate level of workmanship for chopping firewood,
is not appropriate for fine furniture.

So there is no one level of "good" workmanship,it depends on the application.
--------
From my perspective,waxing the motor on my car
would be a complete and absolute waste of time and energy.
It's like polishing the soles of your shoes.Why bother ?

You may make different choices.And that is fine.

Really fellas, I enjoy traditional hot rods, even if they seem to be nothing more than restorations and all the same to some folks. I think it's a period of hot rodding that should be preserved to some degree. I know my pops was there and I like studying the types of hot rods that he dealt with and compare them to the stories that he tells. I'll admit that if I had the patience to build a late 40's/early 50's period correct car, I might do just that. I'm just not going to spend years gathering period pieces at a high cost to build a car that I wouldn't feel comfortable about driving long distances. I do like looking at them at car shows though and one of my cars is traditionally styled to a degree.

That being said, I also enjoy the ratty cars, tubbed cars, nice street rods, and cars that show a lot of imagination and don't fit into neat little categories. I guess I just like cars. You won't see me bashing anybodys car though because they built it the way that they wanted it and that's fine.

Latest posts

Back